Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware destroyed Network Connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisL100

ChrisL100

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

Office computer became infected with malware.

Primary Symptoms:

Unable to connect to shared files on the network
SVCHOST.EXE error, unable to write, 0x00401000

The Exact error messages are

svchost.exe - Application Error
"The instruction at "0x00401000" referenced memory at "0x00401000". The memory could not be "written".

and when navigating the network neighborhood to open to server's shares....

[server] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
The server service is not started.

No server settings have been changed and the rest of the computers on the network still function properly.

I've tried (and removed a lot) by using

Spybot, Adaware, SmitFraudFix, Malwarebytes, System File Checker, Stinger

But have been unable to restore my network connection or remove the SCVHOST error message. I'm beyond frustrated. haha

The following is my HiJackThis log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2Scan saved at 13:01, on 2008-11-11Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)Boot mode: NormalRunning processes:C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exeC:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\netdde.exeC:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exeC:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXEc:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exeC:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exeC:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeC:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exeC:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exeC:\WINDOWS\explorer.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.exeC:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exeE:\fix computer\HiJackThis.exeR1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157[/url]R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896"]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /minO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimizedO4 - Startup: Mozilla Thunderbird (Safe Mode).lnk = C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exeO4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exeO8 - Extra context menu item: Copy to &Lightning Note - C:\Program Files\Corel\WordPerfect Lightning\Programs\WPLightningCopyToNote.htaO8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with WordPerfect - c:\Program Files\Corel\WordPerfect Office X4\Programs\WPLauncher.htaO9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dllO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dllO9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLLO16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - [url="http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab"]http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab[/url]O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = global.localO17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = global.localO17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = global.localO17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = global.localO18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb1 - {9B0F96C7-2E4B-433E-ABF3-043BA1B54AE3} - C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2008\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dllO18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLLO23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exeO23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exeO23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exeO23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exeO23 - Service: Protexis Licensing V2 (PSI_SVC_2) - Protexis Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exeO23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exeO23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exeO23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exeO23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exeO23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exeO23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exeO23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe--End of file - 5308 bytes

Edited by ChrisL100, 11 November 2008 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomk_

Tomk_

Malware Eradicator

• Malware Response Team
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hi ChrisL100,

Welcome to Bleeping Computers

My name is Tomk_. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, feel free to create a new one.
I apologize for the delay in response. We get overwhelmed at times but we are trying our best to keep up.
If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate your letting us know. If not, please post a new HijackThis log so that we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.
Posted Image

#3 Tomk_

Tomk_

Malware Eradicator

• Malware Response Team
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

Due to lack of response, this thread will now be closed.

If you have further issues, please begin a new topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users