Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have just attempted to update my Avira AntiVirus Free edition only to receive the following message:

The following error occurred when trying to start the update.
Scheduler has not been started.

How do I do this, please?

My thanks

Reena

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

Follow the steps here:

Avira Scheduler has not been started

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hillbillygreek: Thanks for that information. My Free edition is now up to date.

Foolishly, when I had the problem last week I uninstalled the Free edition and downloaded a trial version of the Premier edition.

I have now tried to uninstall the latter, It is not listed in my Add/Remove list. It is in my Programme section but "refuses" to be uninstalled.It wouldn't do so even before I re-installed the Free edition.

When I read some of the answers to the problems on the Avira page I found this hint from Barrie, the moderator there. I hope he won't mind my quoting his words:

To check your services right click my computer and from the drop down menu select manage, now click the + sign next to Services and applications, then click or double click services. Here you will see all your Avira services. The Guard and scheduler should be set to started and automatic, if not just reset them. (Jan 2006)

I tried this but found the Premium version listed there!

My Free edition is now up to date but the Guard service refuses to be started. I am sure this fault is linked to the Premer editionwhich has a couple of weeks to go.

Windows XP
I.E. 7

My thanks again
Reena (UK)

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Usually what required to fix a bad uninstallation is to reinstall the program & to try it again. But since you have already installed the free version & rather than aimlessly going back & forth with speculations about what caused this, your best bet would be to go to the Avira Forums, & explain to them exactly as you did here to see if they can help troubleshoot this problem. Feel free to link back to this page if needed. Sorry I could not be much more help.

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hillbillygreek: Thank you. I will do that.

What annoys me is that the problem is of my own making!! :thumbsup:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users