Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario Disk Boot Failure F10 system recovery not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luchipboo

Luchipboo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

Got the infamous "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" on my mom's compaq presario desktop sr1900nx. It appears on a black screen after the red/white compaq screen. It takes about 30 seconds for the error to appear. There is a blinking underscore the line below it. I have done several hours of searching and have tried several things to get to at least to the system recovery area, but I can not even do that. When I cut power to it and try at least starting the boot process, I do get the COMPAQ red/white screen with 3 options on it. ESC to enter boot menu, F1 for setup, F10 for system recovery. The ESC & F1 work, but that's about it. I can not access the system recovery. It does NOT have a floppy drive, nor did the PC come with any recovery disks and of course I do not have any. I am just looking at this point to recover some pictures/documents from it...then as far as I am concerned it is trash. It was running windows XP. Is this even possible without spending a ton of cash on recovery cd's or for file recovery? I have also tried F8, Pause/Break and have hunted the setup/boot menu for anything that could help - and found nothing.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 19,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hi Luchipboo, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

That Compaq has a recovery partition, this is why it didn't come with the discs. If you have the user's manual it should explain how to use it.

If you wish to backup the files that are on there first, you can alway install that hdd in another desktop as a slave drive. This will required setting the jumper on the rear of the drive in the slave position, and connect to the IDE data connector in the middle location. You should be able to access your files from there.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 Luchipboo

Luchipboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

I did consult the manual, but it didn't seem to cover the problem of not being able to access anything beyond the COMPAQ login screen. I believe it did give me steps to follow if windows is not responding, but to no avail. I am not sure what you mean by the other solution, but I have a friend who may. Wish me luck.
Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

For about $20 US you can usually get copies of the Compaq recovery disks in 4 or 5 days.
Call 1-800-HPINVENT
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users