Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatic shutdown when connecting to internet/network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 i.c.e

i.c.e

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

My computer automatically shuts down whenever I try to connect to an internet or network server (wifi, LAN. or wireless data modem). At first it shuts down a few minutes after I connect, but now it's as soon as I TRY to connect (even when wifi is just looking for a signal).

The following message is displayed for literally a fraction of a second (I had to take a video of the screen so I can read the message).

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by IRIS\Iris

Time before shutdown: 00:00:01

IRIS is my computer/administrator name.

I checked my events viewer and it said something about winlogon.exe, by USER32.
Hope you can help!

Edited by i.c.e, 08 October 2008 - 04:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Crashing and shutdown problems can be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware.

Some rootkits can also trigger BSODs, shutdowns and various stop error/shutdown messages so it would also be wise to perform a scan for this type of malware. Download and scan with Sophos Anti-rootkit, Panda AntiRootkit or AVG Anti-Rootkit.

Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by these software programs after performing a scan.

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- for Windows 2000/XP ONLY!
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • Please be patient as the scan may take up to 20 minutes to complete.
  • When the process is complete, the SDFix report log will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • The SDFix report log (Report.txt) will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to re-enable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 i.c.e

i.c.e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

Thanks but as I was trying to follow your instructions, my computer got worse. It would shutdown down a few minutes after startup even when I wasn't doing anything. Our office technical team recommended that I just reformat it altogether, and since I can't afford to lose any more work time because of this snafu, I did reformat it. It bothers me, though, that I still don't know what the root of the problem was... hmp..

So thanks anyway for trying to help. :thumbsup:

One last question, our IT supervisor said it'll be better for me to use NOD32 as it is completely compatible with our network/office system. I've been using Norton 360. I also use my computer at home where I have my own internet provider. Is NOD32 really better???

Edited by i.c.e, 10 October 2008 - 08:37 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Sometimes a reformat is the best solution. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative. With that said, I use and prefer NOD32.

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".
• "Use Task Manager to close pop-up messages to safely exit malware attacks"

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 i.c.e

i.c.e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:54 AM

Aryt! :thumbsup:
Thanks very much!