Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Format Blank Cd-rw Disk Before Using?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

Hi people. I'm new here and have been using Vista for only about 3 months, but have been using pc's for more than eight years. Even now there are times I may come across something that I don't fully understand, so I'm glad someone here can help. Thanks.

I use Vista Home Premium and just wonder why you have to format a new cd-rw disk before you can burn files to it? And are cd-r disks the same? My pc uses the only one 5.25" optical drive to read, write and play cds and dvds like most new pc's. But I guess it's not the drive, it's Vista, right? Of course with XP I never had to prepare a blank disk for burning. Just Drag and Drop and it's ready.

I did a cd-rw format with Vista a few days ago and it took about 10 minutes. That seems unnecessary. A waste of time to get one ready for burning files. Is there a way around this? Simple question I know. I would prefer a quicker way if possible. Appreciate the help. MP

Edited by MoonPower, 06 October 2008 - 08:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

On reason for having to format the cd is if there is already data on the CD.I am not sure what burning program you are using, but you may want to check to see if the drag and drop feature is turned on. I am pretty sure that if you are using such a feature the media needs to be formated first.

And are cd-r disks the same?

CD-R disks are not the same as CD-RWs. With CD-R`s one can burn only once. With CD-RW`s one can burn multiple times.Hope this helps.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

Right click on the file you want to burn. From the drop down menu, click 'send to'....then choose your CD/DVD drive. Put a disk in, then click 'burn'.
I can burn to a CD-RW without going through the formatting.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2014
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

On reason for having to format the cd is if there is already data on the CD.I am not sure what burning program you are using, but you may want to check to see if the drag and drop feature is turned on. I am pretty sure that if you are using such a feature the media needs to be formated first.

And are cd-r disks the same?

CD-R disks are not the same as CD-RWs. With CD-R`s one can burn only once. With CD-RW`s one can burn multiple times.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response ice2921. I'm talking about new unused discs here. I've done plenty of formats using discs with files already burned to them and wanted to erase the discs. I am just trying to use Vista's built in burner. I do understand that cd-r are different from cd-rw. I was just saying if you would have to burn cd-r the same way as cd-rw. I assume you would do each the same way. I even tried doing it Jacee's way and I can't unless I format the disc first. At least that is what it is asking/showing me. Thanks.

#5 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Right click on the file you want to burn. From the drop down menu, click 'send to'....then choose your CD/DVD drive. Put a disk in, then click 'burn'.
I can burn to a CD-RW without going through the formatting.

Thanks Jacee. That is strange to me because I still get the prompt to 'format' the new disc. I even tried two different brands just to see if one would allow me to do it your way. Yes, I right-click my file and a drop down list appears. On mine I choose 'DVD RW Drive (D:)' (since I have only one drive) But then I still get the prompt to 'format' the disc. I wonder if it's because I have only one 5.25" optical drive that does it all. But that shouldn't stop me from burning without formatting I would think. Any other ideas out there or is formatting the only way in my case? Thank you.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

I don't know moonpower... I have two of these:
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option...4&Itemid=67 (E:\ and F:\)

Edited by Jacee, 06 October 2008 - 04:35 PM.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

This article may help you understand why formatting really is necessary:
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa4.htm

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

OK sorry for the confusion then. Are you able to burn with other software besides the Windows based?

#9 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

I have this glitch, but i using Nero 9 now and it fine

#10 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:07 AM

This article may help you understand why formatting really is necessary:
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa4.htm

Thanks for the link Jacee. Quite a bit of reading there and specific. Also it looks like our drives will basically do the same thing. DVD Multi Recoder. Ultra Speed RW. DVD+R DL. With Lightscibe technology. I may have to find a good free third party software out there to make copying files easier without the formatting. Thanks

#11 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:12 AM

OK sorry for the confusion then. Are you able to burn with other software besides the Windows based?

ice2921 yes, I believe I will have to check into some freeware used for burning from a third party. I know there are a lot out there. I can check into this. Formatting using Vista to me just doesn't make any sense. Someone here suggested Nero. I'll do some Googling and see what pops up. Thanks.

#12 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:31 AM

If that's the way Vista has to be, then I'll go looking elsewhere for other freeware burning software from the net. And there are a lot out there. I know Nero 9 is good, but not free and has a trial period. But sometimes to have to buy to get what you want though. I have in the past several times. Thanks.

#13 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

If that's the way Vista has to be, then I'll go looking elsewhere for other freeware burning software from the net. And there are a lot out there. I know Nero 9 is good, but not free and has a trial period. But sometimes to have to buy to get what you want though. I have in the past several times. Thanks.

sometimes free isnt good...Nero has bunch of super offers, so i reccomend start trial(enter your e-mail) and wait for a special offer(approx.7~15 days) i have a legitmate nero 8, so i get it with 75 % offer :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users