Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"copy Of Windows Not Activated"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 easymoney84

easymoney84

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

I am using XP operating system with 2 accounts setup on it both with administrator rights. I just tried to update webroot spysweeper program and forgot that the second user was logged on. I downloaded the update but when it went to install I was prompted to close the running program and try to install again or manually uninstall spysweeper. I logged onto the second user and closed spysweeper and then logged off. Then I switched users back and tried to continue the install of the update. I again was prompted to unistall manually which I tried to do but my pc seemed to lock up. After a couple of minutes of no activity I restarted the computer but at the log in screen when I clicked on my profile it tells me that windows can not load locally stored profile and that it is logging me on with a temporary profile. At this point it tells me that this copy of windows is not activated.
Now when I log in using the second profile it allows that profile to be loaded but still says that this copy of windows is not activated. What should my next steps be so that I don't lose any data and am able to operate system correctly? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Activate...and then create a new user profile to replace the one which is corrupt/damaged.

Seems pretty clear cut to me, but maybe I'm not understanding the situation.

Activation is the higher priority...I cannot speculate on why you have to reactivate, but the priority is to activate, then speculate.

Louis

#3 easymoney84

easymoney84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

When I try to activate it takes me to this website http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads...gitCheckError=1
When I hit the validate now button this is the message that comes up next.

Validation Not Completed: ActiveX Error
There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.

The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Tool requires the user account to have administrative privileges on the computer.
The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Tool requires access and is unable to communicate with the Microsoft validation servers. Please click here to learn more about troubleshooting your antivirus, antispyware, Internet Explorer and firewall settings.

I thought that this was a seperate issue but it is causing me issues now. Like I said before both accounts on this pc have administrator rights, but on IE when I try to go to TOOLS:INTERNET OPTIONS it tells me that "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTIONS ON THIS COMPUTER CONTACT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR"
How do I resolve that issue?

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

You need to activate manually.

Restart the computer and choose the activate windows now, when it asks to do over the internet, do not, do it over the phone.

It will give you a number to call, the next screen will give you 9 or 10 groups of numbers, i cant remember how many, but it will ask for group 1, punch it in in your phone, than 2, than 3, and so on. Once done it will read you an activation number which you will put in to activate your windows.

You need to get it activated, you do not have to register though.

Do that first and let me know what happens.

Edited by usasma, 30 September 2008 - 07:46 AM.
spacing edit

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38°C/39°C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 easymoney84

easymoney84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

I am sorry you lost me with the window snow. Can you clarify

#6 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

lol my bad, windows now**
Posted Image

#7 easymoney84

easymoney84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

I am still not sure where I would activate windows now at. When I start my pc it takes me to my welcome screen and I choose a user

#8 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.
Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#9 easymoney84

easymoney84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

I don't have the option to activate windows under system tools.
The icon in the notification area is not a

Windows Activation icon

When I move the mouse over the icon it says This copy of windows is not activated
When I click on the icon it takes me to the validation process which it fails. I try to follow the procedure it gives me but I can not change my internet options because my pc says I don't have administrator rights (which I should according to the account set-up).
So it feels like I need to solve one problem to be able to solve the next. Any solutions to the problem of not being able to change internet settings??

#10 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:46 AM

You need to do it by phone most likely, here read below, this is a good guide i found.

" Try Internet Activation First

If you have an internet connection when activating Windows, attempt to use the online route first. In the Windows Product Activation Wizard, choose “Yes, lets activate Windows over the internet now”, followed by “No, do not register with Microsoft”. You may receive a friendly “Thank you!” and your copy of Windows will be good to go.

If internet activation fails and the Wizard complains about “too many activations” or an “incorrect product key”, you still have the option of calling Microsoft’s toll free number to activate Windows. As long as the Wizard doesn’t report “invalid product key,” options are still open. An “invalid” (not “incorrect,” mind you) key is one reported or detected as pirated, so you’ll have to find some other way to make your software go.

Phone Activation Phone Activation Phone Activation Phone Activation

Activating Windows via phone is about as enjoyable as a trip to the dentist, but knowing exactly which buttons to push and the right words to say can help cut your time in half and get you the necessary code.

If your online activation from above failed, click the Telephone button to generate an Installation ID, which you’ll read off to a customer service representative shortly. Call the number for your appropriate country, and you’ll enter into a phone menu system which would like nothing more than for you to activate by reading the numbers onscreen. The software behind the menu, however, does the same checking as the online activation method — meaning if your online activation failed, so too will the automated phone activation. Press 0 on the phone keypad when asked if you are calling to activate Windows XP (the first opportunity you are prompted for input). Like many newer phone menus, it will respond “I see that you’d like to transfer to a customer service representative”, and subsequently try to convince you to go back to the automated system. Ignore the pre-recorded woman’s somewhat rude request to go back, and press 1 to to talk to a human.

After a short delay and the distinct possibility of listening to some poorly chosen music, a representative will ask for either the first six digits of your Installation ID, or the full set. (The first six digits of the Installation ID are the only real keys to generating a Confirmation ID, however the reps more often than not ask you to read off the rest of the group. The rest of the numbers are encoded values detailing some very basic hardware details about your computer.)

If asked “Is this the first time you’re activating Windows?”, say yes. If you say no, the representative will ask for an explanation as to why you’re re-activating Windows.

If asked “Did you purchase the software from a retail store?”, say “It came pre-installed with my computer.”

As a final time-kill (their system sometimes takes a minute to generate Confirmation IDs on days with a particularly heavy load), you may be asked for your Product Key (Windows serial number).

After you’ve given them the necessary information, the representative will read the Confirmation ID to you, which you can simply type into the provided fields. Using these methods, it takes about 4 minutes to activate Windows on average. "

Source: How to Activate Windows XP

Goto that website for more detail.
Posted Image

#11 easymoney84

easymoney84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Well crisis is over. Thank you for all of the suggestions. The actual solution in this case was I started up in safe mode and then was able to use system restore. Once restored everything seems to be back to normal. Again thank you for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users