Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meaning Of Dword In Registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manmeetvirdi

manmeetvirdi

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hi there
Well what does the registry key like dword:00000004 means?
What does that value 00000004 means?
Does it have unique meaning (fixed by Microsoft) or it depends upon software maker.

Is this a hexadecimal values??
Is there any thumb rule when dealing with registry? For Example if you want to disable write dword:00000001, if you want to activate something then write dword:00000002??

Regards
Manmeet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 manmeetvirdi

manmeetvirdi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi I think I have put my question in a wrong forum.
Here most of you are givng the tips and Iam asking for some kind of the tip
First post and blunder!!

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to BleepingComputer! I've requested for your topic to be moved to another forum for you.

The meaning of a doubleword value in the registry is determined by whatever software refers to that key. The value is hexadecimal - a doubleword is four bytes, 00 00 00 00 to ff ff ff ff value.

I don't think there's a general rule. A LSD value of 0 to 1 may toggle some functions, ie dword:00000000 to dword:00000001, but that may not be so in other cases. You need to know what the application (Windows itself or a program) is expecting.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

A DWORD is simply a 32 bit integer numerical value.

Each registry value is simply a numbered setting. What each number means is controlled by the process that actually cares about the value you're looking at.

A more general explanation of WORDs as far as computers are concerned can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dword#Dword_and_Qword

Hope that helps!!

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users