Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Anyone Know What "mptelemetrysubmit" Is?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ijostl

ijostl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:30 AM

Hi, does anyone know what this reappearing folder in the /*username*/temp/ directory titled "MPTelemetrySubmit" is and why it keeps reappearing in the temp dir?

Thank you and...

MANY MANY KUDOS TO ALL THE ADMINS AND ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS :thumbsup:

Suggestion: place a paypal donate button on the site.

ijostl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

I don't know exactly what it is but the name telemetry and submit, suggests sending data to someone. Does it have files in the folder? watson manifest and client manifest?

A quick Google for MPtelemetry Submit popped some stuff up, none of which highlighted any thing to worry about. A link in the watson manifest MpSigDwn.dll suggests a connection with Symantec, but I never believe anything I read on the internet.

CCleaner should get rid of it and I woudl suggest updating all your anti-malware and scanning your machine in safe mode just to be sure.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

Nothing definitive that I see...but every reference I looked at suggested a malware connection.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

The owner decided to stop taking donations a while back (he even refused me! :thumbsup: I guess that the site is successful enough that it supports itself.

I found MPTelemetry stuff in my XP system - mostly associated with the Deckard tool, but it also may be associated with update process of Windows Defender.

This post seems to confirm it's use with Windows Defender: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 ijostl

ijostl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

The owner decided to stop taking donations a while back (he even refused me! :thumbsup: I guess that the site is successful enough that it supports itself.

I found MPTelemetry stuff in my XP system - mostly associated with the Deckard tool, but it also may be associated with update process of Windows Defender.

This post seems to confirm it's use with Windows Defender: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1

Thank you very much for your comments. Thus far it appears most likely related to Windows Defender. Hopefully this thread will remain and people will continue to chime in. I am in fact running Windows Defender.

Regarding the suggestion of a donation button; I was reading through a few threads and the level of help on some of these well deserves compensation. In the spirit of giving back people do offer generous assistance, this is very good news.

ijostl

Edited by ijostl, 26 September 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I do this because I like working with computers and I like helping others. I'm not in it for the money (which upsets my boss to no end! :thumbsup:

FWIW - there are many pieces of freeware that we recommend in the course of helping people here - and most of them offer an option for donations, or for the purchase of a more fully featured program. Consider donating/purchasing from them.

It wasn't all that long ago that I couldn't afford to purchase software. Freeware enabled me to keep doing computer work without emptying my wallet every time that I looked at a system. Once I became more financially stable I made it a point to donate every time I use a product that has a donation button.

This is sort of similar to the spirit of the online communities - where users help other users, and we all benefit from it.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well stated, John :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 LinWinNetAllIn2gethr

LinWinNetAllIn2gethr

• Members
  • 1 posts