Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Stays At 100%, Mccafee Not Updating...virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick2008

Nick2008

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hi,

I'm at the end of my rope here. Hopefully someone has been through this and can help me out.

This might be kind of long, but I think its best to include whatever details I can:

I have Win XP Home and McAfee.

A week or so ago firefox 3.0.1 began to crash, multiple times a day. This has never happened in the many years I have used FireFox. I became suspicious and I either opened up my task manager or Mcafee, I don't remember which one I did first. Anyway, the CPU usage was maxed at 100% and I knew that meant something was slowing down the computer so I looked to see what I could shut off, but nothing would help it. I soon realized that the cpu usage would stay "steady" at around 30% with nothing open, but once I open firefox or McAfee or just about anything it would rocket up to 100% and stay there.

At that same time McCafee told me it needed attention and shut off real time scanning (but not firewall) and told me to "Fix." I clicked Fix and the download/update icon appeared and that likewise made the cpu go up to 100%. But that isn't all, the update icon would turn on every now and then saying it was updating, but the McAfee error would never go away. I searched for hours online (esp at McAfee forums, no help) but nothing significant. I did everything (many time over 2 days) from restarting the computer to reinstalling McAfee, running update, checking clock, etc, etc and still nothing.

All this time I was worried I had a virus (and still am worried), but I couldnt get friggin McAfee to work to do a scan! Finally a McCafee online support guy sent me a link, and that worked for about an hour then the same error came up so I figured look elsewhere. It turned out McAfee DAT file was from Dec-1999, and that cannot be right, 10 years old for a 2008 version of McAfee? McAfee says that error appears but I am still protected, like that relieved anything. I heard of similar cases online, and I ended up downloading Malwarebytes and Avast.

Malwarebytes picked up a few things, and I was happy to see that, but still the CPU issue remained. I tried doing a scan with Avast, but the CPU at 100% kept the scan stuck for at least an hour so I figured it best to stop before something burns up. I tried running Avast in Safemode, but the computer would freeze after I pushed F5 and the Safemode menu came up. I finally found I could reboot into safemode so I did that, but the CPU issue still slowed things down so I gave up on that as well. All of this took hours upon hours looking for solutions.

Then, today, I tried the McAfee link again and McAfee's errors are gone and I can scan. I did a full scan and all it found was something called Reboot-AH. I found nothing significant online about this, but I had McAfee delete it anyway. Still, as I type, the problem remains. McCafee has not gone back to trouble yet, though the DAT file still says December 1999.

If you are still reading this, I thank you for putting up with me. If anyone knows how to help I would be greatly indebted to you. At this point I'm pretty sure it is not a virus, but I wont be surprised if it is.

My cpu usage still sticks at 100% whenever any basic windows are opened and running (eg page loading on firefox), does anyone know what is wrong or how to help?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

In the Task Manager, under the Processes tab, which process is using 100% CPU
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Nick2008

Nick2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

In the Task Manager, under the Processes tab, which process is using 100% CPU

Whatever the current window is running, it will jump up to 100%.
So, if only firefox is open and I am loading a page, it will be the process using 95-100% cpu
If only McAfee is open and I'm running a scan, it will be the process using 95-100% cpu
If the McAfee update module is running, it will be the process using 95-100% cpu
etc, etc

When more than one of these are going at the same time the chance of firefox crashing become very high, and every once in a while the computer itself will automatically restart.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Is your computer fully updated?

#5 Nick2008

Nick2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Is your computer fully updated?

As far as I can tell, yes.
As I was searching for solutions last week, I got XP SP3.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

Then run the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

See if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users