Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avgrsx.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

Well suddenly one of AVG's component, resident shield, has gone bonkas lately, i dont know why but it keeps eating up my CPU usage and slows down everything, is it scanning on a high level or something, does anybody know why this is happening? is anyone else who uses avg encountering the same problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -Cloud

-Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

anyone?

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi -Cloud,

The resident shield program is a heavy CPU user. There are only two courses of action to speed up your PC.

First, you could try "manage exceptions" and choose certain filepaths and folders for AVG to skip. It will speed up the scan but it can miss important areas if you don't choose the right areas to leave out.

Second, disable the scheduled scan and try running the scans at night once a week. If you are handling large files when you're using it though you are still going to have to deal with Resident Shield kicking in.

You could always try another antivirus, of course. Avast! and Antivir are recommended here.
[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hi -cloud.

First, you could try "manage exceptions" and choose certain filepaths and folders for AVG to skip. It will speed up the scan but it can miss important areas if you don't choose the right areas to leave out.

I wouldn't do that because malware can hide anywhere, and even if its a folder you trust it still can be infected. Also the amount of speed time your loose is minimum, so I personally think that's not needed.

Second, disable the scheduled scan and try running the scans at night once a week. If you are handling large files when you're using it though you are still going to have to deal with Resident Shield kicking in.

I'm not exactly sure if disabling the schedule scan will increase the scan speed, but running a scan at night or at a time you do not need to use the computer is good, and if you run at night you can also tell AVG to shut-down your computer after the completion of the scan. I usually try to limit the amount of process/applications running in the background when running a scan.

Another suggestion I have is that during the scan, you can Disable your internet connection and this should stop Resident Shield from popping up for me usually. Bottom line I would say you should avoid browsing the web and also do anything else just let the scan finish and then do what ever you want :thumbsup:

Yes, you can always try a new Anti-virus program. I use AVG 8.0 too because I think its scan speed is fairly good. The amount of CPU it takes up is not a great amount for me.

Another aspect I like about AVG is it has different scan types. Near the bottom of AVG, you can set the scan to:
Slow Scan, Automatic Scan or Fast Scan.

Slow Scan takes the least amount of CPU usage, but it may take a while for the scan to complete, but at least you can do other things you need to accomplish while it is doing the scan.
Automatic Scan may vary so I can't say much about that.
Fast Scan will take most of your CPU usage and sometimes it even lags your computer because its trying to complete the scan as fast as possible, but again you can always run at a night time ;)

Those are just some of my suggestions/opinions.

Hope that helps :flowers:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 -Cloud

-Cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi -Cloud,

The resident shield program is a heavy CPU user. There are only two courses of action to speed up your PC.

You could always try another antivirus, of course. Avast! and Antivir are recommended here.

thanks for the reply, i appreciate your help!

Another suggestion I have is that during the scan, you can Disable your internet connection and this should stop Resident Shield from popping up for me usually. Bottom line I would say you should avoid browsing the web and also do anything else just let the scan finish and then do what ever you want :thumbsup:

So would it be recommendable to scan my whole computer every week and boot windows up in safe mode, is this a better/safer or convenient method to do weekly scanning, because i scan my computer once a week but not sure to do this in safe mood if it will help or wouldnt really affect the scanning?

and by the way thanks for you other information and suggestions/opinions it really helped!

Edited by -Cloud, 06 November 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hi Cloud.

So would it be recommendable to scan my whole computer every week and boot windows up in safe mode, is this a better/safer or convenient method to do weekly scanning, because i scan my computer once a week but not sure to do this in safe mood if it will help or wouldnt really affect the scanning?

Well, you could do a scan in Safe Mode if you really want to. I don't think it would really effect the scanning much. I have never tried scanning in Safe Mode so I am not exactly sure, It will no cause your computer to heat up because there are not much process in Safe Mode. However, I am not sure if the scanning speed will differ much. You can try in Safe Mode and see if you like it or not. If you don't you can always do a scan in Normal Mode while doing other things. However, I don't recommend people going to Safe Mode unless they need to because safe mode is usually used when there is a problem or some corruption and you cannot go in to Windows normally. I would still run scans in Normal Mode.

and by the way thanks for you other information and suggestions/opinions it really helped!

No Problem, glad to help :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 Princess of Reign

Princess of Reign

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

Well, I had this problem with AVG as well... and it was running two avgrsx.exe's. What fixed it for me was to open AVG then go to Tools > Advanced Settings then click on Resident Shield and uncheck enable Resident Shield, click Apply. That got rid of both avgrsx's I had running at least. It doesn't seem to like the disabling of Resident Shield in the main window. Hope this works for you! :thumbsup:

Edited by Princess of Reign, 08 April 2009 - 12:19 AM.

#8 pjpw

pjpw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

I believe the problem is the Link Scanner component. I have never had any problems with AVG V8 as I always use the following procedure when installing AVG on any computer.

Use the Run box to locate and select the installation file then copy and paste the following parameter immediately after the installation filename including the lead space.

/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Make sure also that you select a Custom installation and deselect the Link Scanner component.

Peter Wills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users