Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup.exe Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arandora

Arandora

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

Since I had a new PC built using Vista Home Premium I have been struggling with some of its "quirks". One of these has been a failure to get a webcam to work with Skype. I#ve tried the 2 I already had, a Logitech Fusion and a cheapie Technika (made by Sonix) and then 2 new ones, supposedly both fully Vista compliant, a Microsoft VX3000 and a plug 'n play Technika. All have failed to install properly and lock the PC as soon as Skype starts video capture and audio. I uninstalled the Logitech and Microsoft ones using the programs' uninstaller but neither of the Technikas will uninstall either through their own uninstaller or through Control Panel uninstall, in both Normal and Safe modes. Whenever/whatever I try I get the message "Setup.exe has stopped working./ Windows is searching for a solution" and then "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" - but no solution is forthcoming.
I hope that I may find one from one of you guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

Does your hardware compatible With Windows Vista(Certified for Vista) or(Vista compatible)? If yes, go to Logitech homepage and contact support, they wull release new setup for you...

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:03 AM

There is one difference I find in dealing with Vista, and that is to right click and 'run as administrator' on each install. Can save some frustration.
And try REVO Uninstaller to remove all traces which Add/Remove quite often does not do.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 05 September 2008 - 06:06 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Arandora

Arandora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:27 AM

~PrEmIuM~
Yes, all the webcam software I have tried was supposed to be Vista compatible. I downloaded the latest for the Logitech direct from Logitech website rather than from the installation disks. It installs fine as does the Logitech Webcam desktop application. It is only when Skype tries to connect that it fails. But this happens with each of the webcams. I have run a diagnostic and sent results to Skype and am awaiting their reply. I suspect they will say "it's a Vista problem!"
rowal5555
I ran the installations as Administrator but I will now try REVO uninstaller as suggested.
Thanks both.

#5 Arandora

Arandora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Revo worked a treat. Thanks for the recommendation! :huh: :huh:

After getting rid of all the traces of all 4 webcams, I uninstalled Skype, then (after rebooting) downloaded the latest Logitech software for my Fusion webcam and installed it, then downloaded Skype again. First time the audio driver would not install, so I reinstalled. Then the cam seemed to install ok but as soon as I tried the Audio/video test call in Skype, as soon as the video started to capture, it froze , the sound became distorted and video broke up. Needless to say it failed to play back properly. This is exactly what has been happening all the time with tests and live calls with each of the webcams I've tried. I used both latest Skype 3.8 and 4.0 Beta with same result.
Soooooooooooooooo frustrating! :huh: :huh: B)

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sorry, I don't know why you are having trouble.

Let's hope someone else may have some ideas for you.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:27 AM

FWIW - I've seen a lot of problems with Skype over the last couple of months. The most success that we've had with it at work is done by updating anything that seems to be a bit out of the ordinary. To do this will require that you start investigating the standard options for VIsta troubleshooting:

1) The Problem Reports and Solutions applet in Control Panel
2) The Reliability Monitor (in the Performance Monitor tool)
3) Running "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) from the Start menu
4) Checking Event Viewer for errors - particularly in the Windows Logs - Application and System logfiles.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#8 Arandora

Arandora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Thanks. I will work through those. Vista tends to get blamed for everything even when it is a 3rd party's fault. I have run a diagnostic for Skype who say they normally respond within 72 hours but that was nearly 2 weeks and 2 reminders ago! Still no reply. :huh:

#9 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

Thanks. I will work through those. Vista tends to get blamed for everything even when it is a 3rd party's fault. I have run a diagnostic for Skype who say they normally respond within 72 hours but that was nearly 2 weeks and 2 reminders ago! Still no reply. :huh:

Ok, does your cam working with any other programs?(like Windows Live Messenger, ICQ etc.) If yes, Skype does not support you cam, or your Skype settings needs to be resetted..If no download Camtasia studio 5 trial and check, if it working or not..Again, if yes, your connection could be weak for instant cams,if no, then your cam not working-change it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users