Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus, Rootkit.win32.clbd, Trojans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DFCpgh2b

DFCpgh2b

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

After being infected early last week with the Windows background highjacker and virus, I'm now stuck with the following after numerous cleanup efforts.
Running WinXP SP 2 with Firefox, Safari, and IE 7. Firefox is my normal default, but now is not desirable; Google search results get redirected to 'abcjmp.com' and other sites often. Often , just get a 'Done' window after clicking on a link.

Have run Malware scans, Safe and Secure scans, Kaspersky scans. They've found different issues, but none have solved the problem. Combokit fails with 'rootkit activity' message, and forced reboot. Also 'gmer' fails with a driver mismatch error.

ProcessExplorer shows an iexplore process with the following parameter 'http://freehost.portal.com./ac.php/aid=61&sid=v2test6' I think that's the 'root' of the problem and connected somehow to a root kit.
Rootkit Revealer from Sysinternals ( Microsoft ) shows several entries about tdsssrv files being indicative of Rootkit.Win32.CLBD.hf. They appear to be hidden from regedt32 and in the Current Control Set keys.

How can I get rid of these tdsssrv* entries?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DFCpgh2b

DFCpgh2b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

This issue now appears to be resolved thanks to the excellent SDFix utility found here at BC.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...99&hl=SDFix

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,767 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections (tdssserv.sys) was related to a nasty rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users