Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Pitched Beeping Noise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 datbomb

datbomb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

earlier i took my computer outside to clean out the insides. i took out my RAM and video card. i used a vacuum hose to get most of the dust out. then as i finished cleaning, i saw on the back of the power supply a red switch, so i switched it out of curiosity to see what it says. it said '230v' so i switch it back to the '115v' side.. no harm no foul. then i installed a dvd burner that i've been putting off. i reinstalled my video card and RAM. then when i went to start it up, there is this high pitched noise. i can't pinpoint exactly where inside my computer it's coming from cuz it's too loud to hold my ear up to it. please help cuz man i hope its not the motherboard. i don't know if any of these events led to this problem

Edited by datbomb, 21 August 2008 - 11:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

nm i figured it out

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,525 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

When you used the vacuum hose, did you have it blowing the dust or sucking the dust into the hose?
Whichever method you use, you have to be REALLY CAREFUL, especially when using pulling the dust through the hose.

"Some sources recommend using a regular or specialty electronics vacuum cleaner. These appliances could cause magnetic damage or static electricity, or dislodge or inhale poorly secured chips or components."

Taken from http://www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-computers-insides.html

It is good to clean out the innards of your system, but there is a right way and a wrong way.
Others may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue better than I can.

I didn't see your post that you had figured it out. What was the problem, so others can benefit from the solution.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#4 datbomb

datbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hey Queen-Evie, thanks for replying. Yeah I was being extremely careful with the vacuum hose. It was the sucking kind. Anyways I had taken my video card out to better suck out some dust lodged deep around the PCI area, and when I put it back in, i forgot to hook the power back up to my video card. it stumped me for a little bit. but i'm so glad that's all it was and not something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users