Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse(s) Downloader.generic7.aggj, Generic_c.oyj, Etc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi, I'm new and not really computer savvy (anymore) so please bare with me :thumbsup:

Yesterday I was on a medical website and it was having problems with lagging, then all of a sudden my AVG 8 catches 2 Trojan Horses, Downloader.Generic7.AGGJ and Generic_c.OYJ. It put them in the virus vault. Shortly afterwards, I got the dreaded Windows XP Antivirus 2008 User Agreement pop-up and the only way I could get it off my screen was to ctrl+alt+delete and End Task. It's been back once, today. Another thing is that my background disappeared to be replaced by a rancid blue screen and I noticed today that my screensaver has not been kicking in. I had a look in Desktop Properties and there are no options for a screensaver or a background. I found a couple of forums that recommended the Restore Desktop/Screensaver Tab program on Kelly's Corners and so tried that (saved it and scanned it first before opening and it was clean). Rebooted and it didn't work, however when I rebooted, AVG 8 informed me of another Trojan, Generic_c.OYJ....AGAIN!!! I looked in the virus vault and saw that when my PC scanned early this morning, it detected and quarantined yet another virus (not a Trojan) called Win32/Heur. I don't know what to do, now, as I've never had a problem quite like this. Please help :flowers:

Thank you,
Mrs.W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hi Mrs. W

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

Please follow this procedure. Let me know if you have any problems...

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

This is the log file.........AVG found a few more trojans...it's like a Trojan Convention in here :thumbsup:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1076
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

02:37:41 22/08/2008
mbam-log-08-22-2008 (02-37-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 59292
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 13
Registry Values Infected: 5
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\myglobalsearchbar.toolbarplugin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\myglobalsearchbar.toolbarplugin.1 (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ef281620-a3a3-4f08-874f-d68cfc9b7945} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Software Notifier (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyGlobalSearch (Adware.BookedSpace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WUSN.1 (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\wallpaper (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\originalwallpaper (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\convertedwallpaper (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\scrnsave.exe (Hijack.Wallpaper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispBackgroundPage (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispScrSavPage (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\History (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\Settings (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyGlobalSearch\bar\History\search (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lphc3jqj0ejeg.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.tt1.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.tt2.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.tt3.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.tt5.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.tt6.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\.ttE.tmp (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,069 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

So how is the machine running now?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#5 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

Much better, thank you! My screensaver and desktop tabs have reappeared :thumbsup: But I'm still wary.......a couple other forums delivered the 'I hate to tell you this but............' speech to people with very similar Trojans/Issues as mine and I was crapping myself!!! Is everything ok now? Do I need to do more?? :flowers:

Thanks Again!
Mrs.W

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Lets see if anything is left out there.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link DO NOT use yet.

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the
    definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter
    any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from
    here and unzip into the program's folder.
    )
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under
    Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner
    Options
    , make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose:
    Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp"

ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

Here's the log from SuperAntiSpyware

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/22/2008 at 05:41 AM

Application Version : 4.15.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3543
Trace Rules Database Version: 1532

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:54:09

Memory items scanned : 154
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5413
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 56290
File threats detected : 9

Trace.Known Threat Sources
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P10U4IRD\red_btn[1].gif
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\BLBX2ND2\lc[1].js
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P10U4IRD\Layout[1].js
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RZE76HYX\Vagina_Biting_Dog.wmv_medium[1].jpg
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P10U4IRD\Yet_even_more_idiots_captured_on_tape.wmv_medium[1].jpg
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\BLBX2ND2\gecv2[1].js
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0P7XDP61\Worlds_strongest_eye_lids.wmv_medium[1].jpg
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P10U4IRD\DetectEnvironment[1].js
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P10U4IRD\image_medium[1].jpg

Those Temporary internet files were quarantined and deleted

However, I can already tell you one of the viruses is still there. About fifteen minutes ago, my AVG 8 found the Downloader.Generic7.AGGJ in the C:\System Volume Information\_restore file--despite a full system scan being done just for good measure after all of this ^^^ was done early this morning. :flowers:
I'm going to start saving some stuff to CD, just photos and music. Will that be safe?

And will it do any good to try all this again? Maybe do Malware Full Scan??

**waits for the 'I hate to tell you this but......'** speech :thumbsup:

Edited by Mrs.Wifey, 22 August 2008 - 05:42 AM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:48 AM

C:\System Volume Information\_restore file

That's an restore point and not an active infection

Some malware automatically delete the old restore points and make a backup of themselves when you are infected, windows can do it also when you install a new malware program.

cookies and restore points are the last signs of an infection being cleaned

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=917120

I wouldn't reformat because of them

Backing up is something you should do every week as a normal procedure tho

sorry to butt in rigel
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

And will it do any good to try all this again? Maybe do Malware Full Scan??

**waits for the 'I hate to tell you this but......'** speech

A new quick scan with MBAM that comes up clean and the absence of any malware signs on your computer would be an indication that the infection is gone, your logs don't look that bad, maybe avg worked for once

It's really not a very good program anymore
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

Let's flush the System Restore information and create a new restore point.
Use this link:Create a New Restore Point Let's try to prevent possible reinfection from an old one.
Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore.

Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they
sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a
new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer
to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click
    "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then
    click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be
    stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should
    you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most
    recent restore point?
    "
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these
    actions?
    "
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
After that is complete, try another SuperAntiSpyware scan and see if anything is detected.

No Problems Chewy - Teamwork :thumbsup:

#11 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:39 AM

Oh my...really??! This is actually the end?? I hope so....it's been a lonnnnng night :thumbsup: If it weren't for the fact that I do financial transactions and internet banking very regularly, I would've been alot less freaked by it all.

I just did quick scan with MBAM and it came up totally clean. Should I make a restore point now while the coast seems clear, or should I wait a couple of days to make sure nothing else pops up?

I was so afraid of getting the 'I hate to tell you this.....' speech. Several other forums gave people with the same Trojans as I had that very speech. I'm sure you've seen it 'Backdoor Trojan, disconnect your PC from the internet NOW. Get to a secure PC and change all your passwords immediately!' and then they give ID Theft information. I was panicking something awful!

Thanks again everyone for your help and fingers and legs are crossed hoping this is the last of the Trojan Convention!!

Mrs.W

#12 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

Oh, hi Rigel! :D

You just answered my questions. Thanks! I'll try the System Restore point now. Should I do SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode again or just normal?

Mrs.W

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hi Mrs. W

We posted around the same time. Check out my post #10. Things sound good so far :thumbsup:

#14 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

Go ahead and scan in normal mode.

Thanks

#15 Mrs.Wifey

Mrs.Wifey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

Ok, that's done! SuperAntiSpyware found one tracking cookie and that was it. Quarantined and deleted it.

Just for the sake of it:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/22/2008 at 02:41 PM

Application Version : 4.15.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3543
Trace Rules Database Version: 1532

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:39:52

Memory items scanned : 333
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5420
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 56430
File threats detected : 1

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Shaun\Cookies\shaun@statcounter[2].txt

Does this mean we're all clear?

And I've decided that since I was infested with backdoor Trojans to change all my passwords. Is it safe to do that on my own PC now?

I'm sorry if I'm asking dumb questions lo...I just want to be 100% sure!

Thank you!
Mrs.W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users