Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Power Supply Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 furix

furix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:37 PM

So my friend bought a new Power Supply Unit for his eMachines t5020 as his old one had apparently stopped working(whenever he tried to turn on his computer the computer wouldn't start, instead it would turn on for a second then turn back off).

So he bought a 500watt powersupply and connected. But after connecting everything and testing it out it wouldn't turn on. The light infront of the computer turns on, but nothing else happens. The fan of the powersupply is off, the fans on the mother board don't turn on, no fans at all will start up.

Also the CR3J1 light is solid green(I think that's a good thing). So, I am not sure what the problem could be at this point. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

EDIT: I was just thinking it could actually be the motherboard... and if it is the motherboard, any suggestions on what type of motherboard to buy? Does it really matter? Could he get the cheapest one he can find from newegg? He's on a tight budget right now.

Edited by furix, 07 August 2008 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 14,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

A few years ago emachine used a Bestec PSU in their computers that had a tendency to fail after two or three years, and when it did it usually took out the motherboard as well.

The PSU has to be turned on through the motherboard, if the motherboard is bad the PSU may not turn on either, it depends on how it failed.

You can find a replacement for the motherboard here.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#3 furix

furix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

Wow, that's a little bit expensive, is there a cheaper alternative?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,797 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

This looks...inexpensive :thumbsup:.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186129

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users