Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

How To Use Dial-a-fix To Repair Windows Internals Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

How to use Dial-A-Fix to repair windows internals problems

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to reset windows settings in the event they are damaged. This is useful for repairing many issues with windows installer, windows update, https connections, and many other issues. However, it is a specific tool which is not a cure all. Hardware problems and windows' file integrity should be checked before using DialAFix.

However, it is recomended that you start a topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum about your issue before using Dial-A-Fix due to the caveats below.

Caveats:
Users wishing to run DialAFix on their own should read http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#WARNINGS.

The following is an incomplete list of examples of known problems that can cause Dial-a-fix to exaggerate or expose issues on your system:

• Hard drive integrity problems, possibly including but not limited to:
  • Registry entry corruption
  • Filesystem corruption, possibly leading to:
  • System file corruption
  • Registry hive corruption
[*]Memory module failures

[*]Other hardware failures (video card, motherboard, processor, modem, etc)

[*]Use of Dial-a-fix on an unsupported platform (such as Windows XP x64; 32-bit XP with a 64-bit processor is fine, however)

[*]Use of Dial-a-fix with unsupported beta software
[/list]

Also please note that Dial-A-Fix is only for Windows 2000/XP. Use of Dial-A-Fix on Windows 9x (that is, 95, 98, ME) or Windows Vista can have unpredicable results!!

Tools NeededInstructions
  • Before you begin, READ THE CAVEATS ABOVE!!
  • Ensure your system's Date and Time are set correctly. You should also rule out possible hardware failures before using Dial-A-Fix.
  • Download Dial-A-Fix and unzip the files to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

Edited by garmanma, 18 November 2008 - 08:20 PM.

Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users