Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error--service Control Manager Event Log Provider

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dreamcatcherco

dreamcatcherco

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

I have had lots of trouble with my Vista freezing & just generally being a mess--shutting down & starting slow--really operating slow on the net. So lately I have been trying to speed it up & correct problems. I've finally gotten it running much, much faster & I am using Firefox as my browser--which I've optimized so its slick as a whistle--way faster. (I previously posted about the application error w/ Winword.) Here is another error I don't know what to do with. I must confess to what I did at this point--I didn't want Windows Defender on my system, so I deleted it using add/remove programs & I also went in & manually deleted some files to try to get it completely uninstalled. So if you look at this computer's list of installed programs in Windows you won't see it listed. But I am getting these error messages #'s 7000, 7001, 7022 & 7023--Here are 2 of them (see below). Is there anything I need to do with this which will tweek the system & make it operate any faster/perform better? Can I make it stop getting freaked out because it thinks something is wrong? Is changing the registry the only way to stop this? Thanks again.

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 7/25/2008 11:24:37 AM
Event ID: 7001
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-07-25T16:24:37.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>99310</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>User-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Remote Access Connection Manager</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Telephony</Data>
<Data Name="param3">%%1058</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 7/25/2008 7:22:07 AM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-07-25T12:22:07.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>99227</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>User-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">mrtRate</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%2</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

If a service tries to start, and is unable to start for any reason, it'll give it several tries before giving up. This will cause a little bit of slowdown on the system - but it shouldn't be enough of a slowdown for you to notice it.

Not every error in the Event Viewer is serious enough to warrant an investigation. For example, HP systems will usually spit out an error about the parallel printer port (LPT1) - even though there aren't any hardware parallel ports installed on the system. This is, IMO, because the BIOS contains code referencing this feature even though the hardware doesn't exist.

Deleting/uninstalling of Windows components from the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel is safe. Once you venture outside of that area, the chances of hosing your system grow drastically. My first suggestion is that you don't delete things without creating a backup of them (and a description of where they're located). My next suggestion is to do things one step at a time. That way you'll be able to assess the impact of a change before moving on to the next change.

The key to researching an Event Viewer error is comparing it to the other entries in the Event log (Information and Warning). Then a search for similar errors with Google, and a careful analysis of exactly what the message says.

In your examples, the first error is that the Remote Access Connection Manager service couldn't start because the Telephony service couldn't start. Here's a description of the Telephony service: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Services/Telephony.htm
And here's one of the Remote Access Connection Manager service: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Service...ion_Manager.htm

So, the first thing to figure out is if you need the Remote Access Connection Manager service (also investigate the Dependencies because they will impact your decision about needing the service). If you do, then you've gotta enable the Telephony service. If you don't, then you can set it to Manual (much safer than disabling it) to see if it works well without the service. If you set the service to Manual and you don't need it - then it won't launch and you won't get the error message in the Event Viewer. If it does launch, despite being set at Manual, then some program is telling you that you need it.

As for the second error, the MRT Rate service is commonly associated with the automatic update function in Quicken/QuickBooks. Do you have that installed on your system? If so, try disabling the automatic update to see if that stops the errors.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 dreamcatcherco

dreamcatcherco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. Just after recieving it, I used the helpful links you gave me & made some adjustments. I was thinking I didn't need Telephony at all because I never use dial up to connect to the intetrnet. But I didn't think about the fax. The effors were significantly reduced after I made some changes. I don't think there was any connection between that & what's happened now because for about 4 days my computer was running beautifully. Now at this point I have much bigger problems. I had the Vista service pack 1 installed--so I thought. But it apparently was not installed. I was alerted to this because a newer update hadn't installed & I looked at the update installation history to see if any previous updates had also not been installed. Then I saw that the service pack had not been either. I figgured I needed to uninstall & then attempt to reinstall. When I did that, my computer seemed to get stuck & the whole OS crashed. I am runnbing Windows Vista Home Prenium, so I do not have the utility that makes a mirror image of the whole boot drive. I had just prior to this used a free program called DriveImage XML to copy a compressed image of the whole C drive (my boot drive) to my external drive. The program stated that I had successfully made & stored a copy of C drive to my external drive, although I had not made a boot CD so that the data could be restored from it. Now I don't know for sure if I have usable data & if so, how in the world I can get my C drive restored. Do you know of a forum or person that would be good to ask how to proceed from here? I am really distressed because this factory image is very very different from what I was using--lots of work went into the changes. My C drive is now restored to factory image because I needed this computer to get on the internet for help/info. & see if I could restore the copy of C I have on my external drive. So far I haven't seen what I need to do to get the copy restored--if possible. What resources--if any--can you suggest?

#4 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

I'm not familiar with the use of DriveImageXML - but would suspect that you can make an bootable CD from it. I'd suggest running the DriveImageXML program again - and make a bootable CD if it offers that option.

When performing a backup or image of any kind, it's always suggested that you try the recovery process to ensure that the backup/image is a good one (and that you're able to restore it).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 dreamcatcherco

dreamcatcherco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Hey, usasma!
Apparently some of the whole-drive copying programs do have making a boot CD as part of the program--this one does not. Its very good for what it does--making an exact picture copy of a whole disk in a compressed form that doesn't take up so much space to store. BUT you are supposed to use another free program, BartPE Builder, to make your bootable CD containing your DriveImage file. That's where I'm stuck. Don't understand what Bart's wants me to put into it so that it will in turn produce the CD. The site I downloaded PBartPE from has a link to a forum ("CD forum" www.911cdnet) that has a section devoted to making bootable CD's but I haven't gotten admin. approval to post yet--just saw this link this AM. I suspect that Nero or other CD burners might possibly be able to burn it, but so far I haven't gotten a hold on any alternatives. It has to convert the .dmg file put out by DriveImage to an .iso file I think. But you couldn't prove it by me--I have no idea what I just said. It's all just words for me at this point--no idea of the technology of this. Don't know that I have to really understand it all to create a boot CD though, just have to find out steps to take--the programs should take care of the technical parts for me. You can also make a slave drive instead of a bootable CD, but I don't know what I just said here either. Just sounds way easier to burn a CD to me. The problem is that every set of step by step directions I can find for BartPE are for an XP OS, not Vista, & I don't understand this boot CD process so I don't know what to do to trouble- shoot what I am doing wrong and how to adapt directions to Vista. And of coarse, HP and other companies don't provide Vista disks these days and the XP directions are telling me to put in my Windows set-up disk--which I don't have. I do have a system recovery disk and I do have the partition on my drives that has all that, but I don't have a clue how to access those except to use to wipe everything clean and resinstall to factory condition.

#6 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

I'd suggest reading the documentation on this page (the DriveImageXML stuff is about way down): http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-documentation.htm

I believe you'll have to make a BartPE disk and add the DriveImageXML plug-in. This link seemed to be an easily understood, step by step set of instructions: http://www.tipsfor.us/articles/ghost-windows-xp-for-free/
- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users