Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Tell If Someone Is Watching My Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 curioustn

curioustn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

I do freelance work on my computer. I'm self employed and am not employed by anyone so this is my own home computer. Well, I am almost positive that someone that I know from some of the online work I do, is watching my monitor but I don't know how to tell. Something was mentioned to me the other day in a chat room that I use with other people that work from home like I do and it was something that there's no way they could've known unless they had seen my computer screen somehow. Then something else was mentioned to me about a pet that I have and I've never even mentioned that to anyone except for on aim where I chat with a friend of mine while I'm doing some work online. So, I'd like to know how I can see if someone is doing this and how do I prevent it from happening? Because I do work for various clients I do not want anyone seeing the confidential information from them, much less my own personal information. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• BC Advisor
  • 2,305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

Are you running any form of security software, AntiVirus - Firewall?
Close all programs that connect to the net, Browser, IM, IRC, etc.
Open a Command Prompt window and type: netstat -na
Do you see any "Established" connections?

#3 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hi curioustn,

are u using windows? have u un-check Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance?

I hope an expert will answer your questions soon.

#4 curioustn

curioustn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

Okay, I shut down everything connected to the net and I opened the command screen and typed in nestat-na but I got an error saying it was an invalid internal or external command. I have also unchecked remote assistance and remote desktop awhile back. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#5 Martel

Martel

Bleeping Member

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

did you type netstat -na or nestat-na

there is a space

Posted Image

#6 curioustn

curioustn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

Okay, I just closed everything out and tried again both ways. nestat -na and nestat-na Both gave me the same error message though.

#7 Martel

Martel

Bleeping Member

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

check your spelling

Look back up at where raw replied to you and use that spelling.

Posted Image

#8 digger662

digger662

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

Okay, I just closed everything out and tried again both ways. nestat -na and nestat-na Both gave me the same error message though.

Just an observation, you are typing "nestat" you are supposed to type "netstat" in otherwords you are reversing the s and the t. :thumbsup:

#9 curioustn

curioustn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

omg I'm such a goof! lol Thanks guys! Okay, I typed it in correctly this time and it came up with a category for local address, foreign address, and state. Under local address there are several, under foreign there are 2 (that aren't all zeros) and under state it says "listening" for all of them except three. Two of those say Time_Wait and one says "closing". What do you think? And if someone isn't on now, is this the way to tell if someone is on later on? If so, what do I do to prevent this or stop it if I see them? I really appreciate your help!!

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• BC Advisor
  • 2,305 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

Time_Wait and closing are normal when you close the programs that are
using that connection.
Is your PC connected straight to the net with a cable modem/dsl?
Have you turned on the Windows firewall or do you use any firewall program?

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

You could also use this tool, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html it is standalone which means you don't need to install it. It is a lot quicker than bringing up the Command prompt and displays the information in an easier way.

Set the refresh rate to every 2 seconds then if you see something strange you can press the prt scrn button and save a screenshot in paint. You can then use this to interpret if someone is spying on you.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 curioustn

curioustn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:48 AM

Raw,
Yes, I use DSL so I'm connected directly and it isn't wireless. I have my windows firewall, AVG, and Spybot.

Alan,
I'll also try what you said to do here. The only problem is that I don't see anything happen on my screen or at least I haven't so far. I'm just about positive that someone is somehow monitoring my screen at times though. There have just been several times that something has been mentioned in a chat room that we use by a representative of one of the clients that I do work with that's just the type of thing that no one could possible know unless they just saw my screen. lol I know that sounds paranoid and I'm not a paranoid type of person but I really think I'm right on this. I appreciate you guys helping me out. I just really want to find out if I'm right on this and if so, then be able to prevent it.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

That is perfectly understandable.

The tool that I recommend will show all connections to and from your computer, it works on the same lines as the netstat -na command but a lot easier to use (double click).
Regards,

Alan.

#14 curioustn

curioustn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

I just have one last question. :thumbsup: If I see that someone is connected to my computer then what can I do to stop it or keep it from happening again? Thank you so much!!

Mandy

Edited by curioustn, 14 July 2008 - 01:55 AM.

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

You can right click on the entry in question on currports and click close connection. You may want to get a better firewall to stop it happening again.
Regards,

Alan.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users