Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Driver Will Not Install Correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lazar13

lazar13

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hey everyone, I'm having a problem with my dvd driver not installing correctly upon computer restart. I cannot use my dvd drive, though power is available. I don't know how to delete the current driver or how to install a clean driver to allow proper installation. I am currently running Vista. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

First question...is this drive Vista ready?

You should be able to uninstall the driver in the Device Manager.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 lazar13

lazar13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

It was running fine till today, Vista has not been a problem. How do I uninstall/reinstall driver in device manager, I don't have a clean version on disk, it auto-searches for correct driver...thanks again

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:40 AM

Open the Device Manager, if you don't see the list of devices click on the box with a + inside to the left of the icon. Go down the list of devices to DVD/CD-ROM and click on the box with the + inside. Double click on the drive in question, and choose uninstall in the new menu. When you reboot the computer the installation wizard will recognize it as new hardware and search for the proper drivers for it and install them.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#5 lazar13

lazar13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

I've tried this multiple times. I can uninstall it fine, but when I restart the computer it finds the correct driver but I get error code 10 every time. It says there is an install failure. Any ideas? Thanks for all the help

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Unplug the computer and remove the side and make sure the cables are firmly seated in the drive.
Does the drive show in My Computer? If the answer is no, run this application
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts

Edited by garmanma, 10 July 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 lazar13

lazar13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Checked and changed the sata cable. The drive shows up as a "removable disk". I will try the linked program...thanks for the help

#8 lazar13

lazar13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

I ran the program, rebooted, still the same. Would a new drive act the same? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users