Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Restarts After Boot Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:27 AM

Hey Guys,
I'm having a hard time trying to fix a Compaq Armada M700 Laptop with XP OS. Turns out that whenever the computer system is booted up, windows XP restarts right after the Windows XP Boot screen just before the welcome screen. Boooting into safe mode doesnt work as the same problem occurs, using last known good configuration doesn't work either as the computer always restarts. My initial guess was that some critical boot-up files had been deleted or something relatively similar to that had happened so I tried booting from CD to see if I could repair the XP installation. Surprisingly the damn thing won't boot from CD. Went into the BIOS & checked that it was configured to boot from CD first. Made Sure 'Notebook Multibay' was first boot device and 'Notebook hard drive' was last, but it still won't boot from CD. What could be wrong? And what can be done??? Help Needed Please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

It could be that the CD drive in the laptop is bad - and that could cause problems with Windows booting.
It could be that the CD itself is bad - trying another bootable CD would tell you this (or trying to boot from that CD in another computer would do the same).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

Just did two XP installations from the same CD, so the CD aint bad or damaged at all.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

Then it's most likely that the CD drive in the Armada is bad. If replacing the drive is out of the question, you'll have to determine if your BIOS is able to boot from an external drive - then borrow an external CD drive to run the installation.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users