Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Loops Into Safemode - But Won't Start-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YeratiT

YeratiT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hello,
Notebook computer - Laptop CLEVO
Model - D87P Product Code - D870P
WinXP-PRO
17" ATi Mobility 9700

On Start-Up
FIRST LOAD PAGE.

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 Copyright 1985-2003 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
BIOS Revision: V122 1.00.10 KBC/EC Firmware Revision: 1.00.05
VBIOS Revision:VER008.017M.097.000-2005/06/03

CPU - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.4GHz
1023M System RAM Passed
512K Cache SRAM PAssed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed

==============

I had some Malware ----- Antivirus2008 ------ Popups - slow system BLA,BLA,BLA....

Tried to load into safemode F8 but didnt work...
This goes out to Mr Lawrence Abrams - I followed your tutorial - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

BUT NOT without skipping over the nitty gritty......I forced the safeboot.ini "When I had probs loading Safeboot from F8...

Blue screen when restarting "LOOPING"
***STOP 0X0000000A (0XF7B82354, 0X000000FF, 0X00000001, 0X804E5619)

Insertd XP CD & entered Recovery Console...
C:\> i typed dir
Directory of C:\
There is no floppy or CD in the drive.
C:\>

I eventually got a blue screen after scrolling through the HELP cmd. I think I was trying to copy CMDCON.EXE to C:

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0XF852EC88, 0X00000001, 0XF734D869, 0X00000000)

*** SPCMDCON.SYS - Address F734D869 base at F734B000, DateStamp 41107c8c

How can I recover from this Loop, Recovery console doesn't SEEM to respond to much of the commands.

Please help I have NOT backed up some important data in last three weeks before school ended.

I have alot of data that I will need next term.... Struggling student

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

I'd suggest first slaving your hard drive to another PC and attempting to recover your data. If you have access problems when recovering it, here's a link that'll help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

Once the data is recovered it'll be a lot less stressful trying to fix your Operating System. It appears that the OS has been corrupted, so I'd suggest a repair install of Windows XP as a first attempt. If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, this may be a problem tho' - but this article has instructions for uninstalling it in the Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

If you're unable to uninstall IE7, then I'd suggest skipping the repair install in favor of a format of your hard drive (wipes all data out) and a fresh installation of Windows.

Then follow the directions here for a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by usasma, 03 July 2008 - 06:06 AM.

- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 YeratiT

YeratiT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi thanks for the quick response....

My laptop has two 80Gb HD's.. ARRAY:1 RAID: Stripe
Is it possible to slave the primary "Stripe 1" to spare pc and edit the boot.ini ?? :flowers:

Restore Boot.ini??? somehow??

I was just wondering that if one can slave and recover files can same be done in reverse ie.. add or amend a file?
And if so can the following be corrected:

Original [operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

After using MsConfig.exe [operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /safeboot:minimal

IF this can be fixed is there a simple generic text file for replacing the BOOT.ini, so as to allow a normal start? :thumbsup:
Thanks Ed.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

I know next to nothing about RAID arrays - I'd suspect that you'd need a RAID controller in the PC that you slave the drives to in order to access the array.

If your issue is that there's a problem with the boot.ini file, there are several ways to fix this. The first would be the command "bootcfg /rebuild" (without the quotes) in the Recovery Console. It'll first ask you to name the installation. I'd suggest something a bit different from "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" which is the current name. Then it'll ask you for the qualifiers/parameters. For this I'd suggest using the "/fastdetect" switch only.

Or, you can edit the boot.ini file itself. Here's a link on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users