Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop Fails To Start With Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AzzOVF

AzzOVF

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hi...

i have recently been having a problem with my toshiba equium a100-027 laptop, which is running on vista.
when i start my laptop i just get a black screen with the mouse cusor on, after the toshiba welcome screen
if i try and start in safe mode the same happens.

this has been occuring the last week or so, but starting in safe mode and doing a system restore seemed to fix the issue for a few days. but now i cant even start it in safe mode.

the only things that i have installed lately are windows updates, and avg updates, and the new firefox.

i think it is something to do with the update which must install after the few days and trigger the problem again

but as i cant start windows i am stuck as a way to fix the issue, any help you could give would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Start off by trying to repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair. Check this Bleeping Computer Tutorial:

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair

Startup Repair is a diagnostic tool that can be accessed via the Windows Recovery Environment. In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

Edited by Juha, 23 June 2008 - 11:23 AM.

#3 AzzOVF

AzzOVF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

thanks for the reply but...

i haven't got a vista DVD, the only things i have is the "Windows vista anytime update", as well as toshiba recovery which on the disk says it will format my hard drive, and i have important documents on my computer which i dont want to lose..

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

You can use a bootable CD/DVD to safely rescue your important files. Do you have a USB which has enough space for your files so that you can transfer to it after booting from CD/DVD?

You can check this tutorial for better instructions: http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-recove...t-cd-192982.php

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

You can download a copy of the Startup Repair CD here (direct download link): http://coblitz.codeen.org/neosmart.net/dow...ry_Disc_x86.iso
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 AzzOVF

AzzOVF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

well... i aint really got a memory stick big enough,

i have an xp which needs formating as well, so iv been thinking of buying this:

IDE SATA to USB Adaptor Cable 2.5 3.5 Hard Drive HDD CD

will this work do you thing, is it sutiable for my laptop...

thanks for the help again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users