Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Order

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:47 AM

I purchased Acronis true image 11 and would like to do a backup to a 16gb kingston flash drive. In my bios boot order #1 is usb fdc, #2 is cd-rom and #3 is my hdd. I don't have a floppy disk drive in my laptop. If I have to reinstall the backup I have done to my usb flash drive in case of a boot failure, how do I set my bios boot order to start with the usb flash drive? I have xp sp2 professional. Thank you.

Edited by djd1, 20 June 2008 - 03:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:04 AM

It would depend on you BIOS, some have the ability to set the USB drive as the first device in the boot order. If the BIOS doesn't have this option then there is another options which are covered in this tutorial.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:41 AM

Thanks dc3 but let me clarify......In my bios the boot priority order is as follows.....
1.USB FDC
2.CDROM HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA 4082N
3.IDE 0: WDC WD1200BEVE-11UYTC-(PM)
4.NETWORK: NVIDIA Boot Agent 232.0529
5.USB HDD
6.USB CDROM
7.USB KEY

Can I change any of these so that my first boot would be from my Kingston 19 GB flash drive in which I have installed Acronis true image home 11 in in the event of boot failure? Thanks.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Making USB KEY number one in the boot order will probably do what you want. USB FDC, refers to a Floppy Disk Controller, which you don't have according to your original post.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the helpful info Douglas. That's exactly what I needed to know. David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users