Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Cooling Fans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Wierd001

Mr. Wierd001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi Bleeping Computer.com

My problem is the computer fans are loud, out of control, and many times, this happens randomly.
I checked with kaspersky anti-virus, and found three trojans, all of them were removed immediately. But still, the fans will not stop behaving erratic. If any more info is needed, plz reply. And plz help, these fans are annoying! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Well...some fans are loud by nature...some fans get loud because the bearings are loose, etc.

I would consider just replacing a fan if it was annoying me as much as you seem to depict irritation.

There are several fans in a system...just which one do you consider most vexing?

You also ought to remember that fans protect your system from one of its biggest enemies...overheating. One which does the job competently...is pretty important.

Louis

#3 Mr. Wierd001

Mr. Wierd001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

Its the CPU fan that is most erratic. Speedfan, a program that I downloaded shows that the temp is below normal and that the fan should be slowed down. When I first bought the computer, it used to be as quiet as a mouse. But now it just gets ridiculous.

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 19,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Most fans connected to the CPU heat sink have the speed regulated by the running temperature of the CPU. There is either a thermistor or a diode which responds to the different temperatures which is usually located at the base of the CPU. The hotter the CPU gets, the faster the fan runs. If your fan has been increasing in speed I would suggest looking inside the case to see if you have a build up of dust inside, especially inside the fan and heat sink on the CPU. If it is dusty, purchase a can of inert air to blow it out with, you can place a pencil through the blades of the fan to stop it form spinning while you do this. Before you handle any of the components inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any potential electrostatic electrical charges, these can kill components on the boards.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#5 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

Most fans connected to the CPU heat sink have the speed regulated by the running temperature of the CPU. There is either a thermistor or a diode which responds to the different temperatures which is usually located at the base of the CPU. The hotter the CPU gets, the faster the fan runs. If your fan has been increasing in speed I would suggest looking inside the case to see if you have a build up of dust inside, especially inside the fan and heat sink on the CPU. If it is dusty, purchase a can of inert air to blow it out with, you can place a pencil through the blades of the fan to stop it form spinning while you do this. Before you handle any of the components inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any potential electrostatic electrical charges, these can kill components on the boards.

Great response. You could also try to purchase an additional or different heat sink to cool the chip.
Also, you could elevate your computer, if a laptop, on two slender wood blocks on each side, to let air pass beneath the computer to allow it to run cooler. You might get an additional fan for the computer also .

Heat problems can be fairly easily solved.

44 guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users