Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Turns Off When Power Cord Is Removed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

I had left my laptop idle while I went to the store. I came back, and the little battery led light was flashing orange repeatedly. I had no idea what was going on. So the first thing I did was bring up the battery menu thing. It said it could not connect to the battery, but no explanation was given as to what was wrong. So I removed the power cord from the back to see what would happen, and my laptop went black. Shu toff completely and immediately. I could not turn it on while the power cord was removed. I did this experiment again, turned on my laptop, then removed the power cord and instant shut off. Looking at the battery menu now, it claims everything is fine. It says it's at 100%, and the battery status is idle. I have no idea what's going on.

My laptop model is Inspiron E1705. No idea what type of battery I have. I have windows xp latest service pack thing. Please help, thank you.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like it's toast, no matter what the monitoring program says. Only way to tell is check the battery with a voltmeter and see if it's holding a charge
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

What if I don't have a voltmeter? Is there any way I can check it through the computer?

EDIT: My battery and laptop are about 18 months old. I play on my laptop several hours a day, every day, though 99% of the time I'm connected through the power cord. Can the battery still deteriorate over time even when it's not being used? I think the answer is yes, and so is this about the average lifespan of the average laptop battery? Thank you.

EDIT 2: The battery led light is blinking orange again. I think it is that the battery is dead. It says "the system cannot communicate with the battery". Yet it still says it's at 100% and idle.

Edited by solaris32, 13 June 2008 - 05:51 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Can the battery still deteriorate over time even when it's not being used?

Yes. There should be a section in your users manual (that nobody reads) about conditioning the battery. Plenty of websites also.
The only 100% way is with a voltmeter.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

I looked it up, and apparently it's normal for my particular battery to die no matter what after 12-18 months. (Read the customer ratings).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...p;mfgpid=184672

Pretty expensive too. Checking now to see if my warranty covers it.

EDIT: No, as I thought. The battery has an inherent 1 year warranty, and mine has died after 1.5 years. It also appears I have no choice in another battery. I'm now debating if I REALLY need a battery and how much that 180$ is worth to me (including tax). Hmm, I think I'll have to pass on a replacement. I never really used it anyway, and I've always got access to a plug. I'll now have to get used to a flickering orange light in my peripheral.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by solaris32, 13 June 2008 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users