Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
I have faced a promblem that I never ever encoutered before.
This is the situation. I came back today and turned on my computer. Then on my desktop I double-clicked on the My Computer. Then I get a message saying, "Windows Explorer has encoutered a promblem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience" Then near the botton it says," to see what data this error report contains click here. I clicked and it has this message:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 80070057

Then I click Don't Send and my Windows Explorer shuts down. I tried it many times and it still getting the same message. I rebootted my computer and the same promblem is still here. I am running some scans and see if anything is wrong.
Any help will be apprecaited. I really need this computer to do my homework, and there are also alot of importatnt file/folders that my dad really needs. Hope someone can help me.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/e...er-crashes.html
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Can you get to event viewer? also do you have a spare computer you may be able to replace explorer.exe with?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,512 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hmmm...I think I'd try:

a. Turning off indexing function.

b. Repair install of SP2.

c. Upgrade to SP3.

Nice link supplied by douglas martin, but I would not have the patience for it :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2008 - 02:58 PM.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

Have to agree with you, Louis, one at a time could be a lengthy process...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hello.

I do not suggest trying to replace a files like explorer. Instead, use the System File Checker to do such tasks. This is not likely a problem with explorer.exe itself.

That "error report" drew blanks. Unknown and 0000 don't really tell us much do they?

Please follow nigglesnush's suggestion to look in the Event Viewer.

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

@douglas
Thanks for the detailed link that you provided. Like what Louis said I don't have the patiend for it eithier.

@nigglenush.
Yes I can view even viewer by going Start>Run>eventvwr.msc
explorer.exe seems fine I think... I don't think its related to my explorer.exe also I don't trust my other computer anyways... Its very old and it probably has millions of malwares...

@hamluis

a)tried...
b)Didn't try yet...
c)Allready updated to SP3 2 days ago... And Uninstalled it yesterday

Should I redownoad it and install it again? I was wondering what the point of installing SP3 is for? Is this something related to my promblem?

EDIT: just saw the Panda's post so wanted to add the info for Event viewer.
Looked under the system catogory. Nothing was really found just a error from yesterday regards to a drive failed to load:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SABKUTIL
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I think I found the promblem: Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x80070057.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 11 June 2008 - 03:12 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Removing a service pack may have caused the problem.

Have you tried sfc /scannow
Regards,

Alan.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi I don't think that was the promblem because it was working fine yesterday and today at the morning when I woke up and at lunch when my dad came home.
Yes I have run sfc /scannow allready

Regards,
Extremeboy

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Just wanted to add something...
My Computer is working now I doesn't get that message anymore...However, I rebotted My computer after a scan because it told me too and now the error message is back, anyone knows why? I think after a hour ir might be back to normal but after a reboot the erroor message is back...

Regards,
Extremeboy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,512 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

From the little that I understand about these errors...it's a game of "hide & seek".

Although the problem is manifested in Explorer...that's like saying there is water in the ocean. Explorer is Windows, Windows is Explorer.

I suggested the indexing thing because that seemed to be the key for one problem report.

I suggested the SP2 repair because that was suggested on a couple of reports.

I suggested the SP3 update because...that was my own idea :thumbsup:. If a repair of SP2 might solve it, then I have to assume upgrading to SP3 can also solve it. (And I've had no problems with my installs of SP3 on systems).

Some also suggested a repair of XP as a solution...I didn't mention that because it seems a bit overkill (when SP2 or SP3 might do the job).

Louis

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

I will try updating to Sp3 and see if it works.
What do you mean by Turning off indexing function. Hoow will I do that?

Regards,
Extremeboy

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Also have you had this problem with any other user accounts on the system?

To turn of the indexing service you need to right click on the hard drive in my computer and select properties. then you need to clear the allow indexing service to index this... If you can't get there, you can disable it in services.msc.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone
Thanks for helping me Louis, It works now :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,512 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

Good news....happy computing :thumbsup:.

You know...there is nothing as well documented on the Internet...as computers are...but the complexity of interactions between hardware, software, O/S, electricity, individual system idiosyncracies...makes it pretty difficult to troubleshoot what might appear (to some) as the most simple issues.

I'm kind of amazed every day by this :flowers:, it's nice to guess correctly every now and then.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2008 - 06:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users