Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space In D: Drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 craftyone

craftyone

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

I don't know what to do? I am constantly getting a pop up in my start menu that I'm running out of disk space my D; drive is full? What do I do how do I fix this? Your help will be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Not knowing how your system is set up can lead to several questions:Do You have more than one Hard Drive or just one that has 2 or more partitions?
Which drive or partition is Windows installed on?
When you go to My Computer and Right-Click properties what does it say about free-space?
While it is unusual to recieve pop-up's regarding hard drive space, I guess that anything is possible. You may want to move files or programs to another external drive or burn them to CD's to free space. Anything else is just guessing as to why this is happening on your system.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 craftyone

craftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:00 PM

it says I have 7.36 GB used and 563 MB Free. I have one hard drive for burner and downloader. I don't know what windows is installed in?

The only thing I see in my D: is my recovery it's locked can't uninstall it and it says not too. Everything else is in my c: drive? So, I don't understand I'm so confused?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Disable Low Disk Space Message - #65 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

it says I have 7.36 GB used and 563 MB Free. I have one hard drive for burner and downloader. I don't know what windows is installed in?

The only thing I see in my D: is my recovery it's locked can't uninstall it and it says not too. Everything else is in my c: drive? So, I don't understand I'm so confused?

You are confused? That means that I'm not alone...If D is your Recovery drive, it is full from the factory and you won't be able to save any additional programs or files to it, PERIOD... Your description of the amount of space must be your C: drive (which seems very small, unless we are talking about a laptop or a very old desktop) or maybe from your description a CDROM drive...You can see why I'm confused....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 craftyone

craftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

ok did the backup I'm totally lost on the rest? Your talking to a computer dummy here.

#7 craftyone

craftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

You are confused? That means that I'm not alone...If D is your Recovery drive, it is full from the factory and you won't be able to save any additional programs or files to it, PERIOD... Your description of the amount of space must be your C: drive (which seems very small, unless we are talking about a laptop or a very old desktop) or maybe from your description a CDROM drive...You can see why I'm confused....

Ah, yea that's why I'm here. I'm very confused but onething I do know for sure is I have 6% Free space in my D: drive.
I have loads of free space in my C: drive.

What it says up there is infact my D: drive 7.36 GB used up and only 563 MB Free space. And yes your right that makes sense it full from the factory.

#8 craftyone

craftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

Sorry that sounded rude I've been on since 7:30 this morning trying to fix my computer and I'm getting cranky I apologize for sounding rude.

Ok, here's where I'm confused what is my D: drive for? I keep getting my D: drive is full and it will cause my computer to run slow and I may not be able to install updates. I thought all my downloads and updates go to my C: drive and if my C: were full it would cause it to slow down.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,957 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 craftyone

craftyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hewlett- Packard
Compaq Presario AMD Athlon ™ 64
Processor 3500t
2.19 GHz, 960 MB of Ram

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,957 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

The information in the following link may be relevant to your problem:

HP Notebook PCs - Low Disk Space Error Appears During or After Backup

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users