Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fluctuating Free Space On Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hdefined4

hdefined4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

I am running the home premium version of Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. My problem is that the number that indicates the amount of used/free space on my computer's hard drive fluctuates every time something is installing, something is uninstalled, something is downloading, or a program is running. I don't know if it's connected to a large problem, but it's annoying to say the least.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

I'm not sure how big of a fluctuation you are talking about, but some fluctuation is normal. Your computer uses part of the hard drive as a temporary memory that will grow and shrink as needed. I can't imagine why it would be annoying. :huh: The swap file (or page file) on my system is 3 gigs, so I suppose I could reasonably expect a 3 gig fluctuation in free space, although I have never actually monitored free space during normal operation.

#3 hdefined4

hdefined4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

I'm talking about dropping from 24 gb to 17 gb after something 1.5 gb large was installed.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

According to what I have been able to find on Google, that can be normal also, and can have to do with any number of factors. At any rate, fluctuation is normal.

#5 hdefined4

hdefined4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Even if it is, it's never happened to this degree before.

#6 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

I can suggest SequoiaView. This software can let you know what exactly is your disk space being used by. So you can be sure it's software you want or not. It could be backup or something like that.

Hope it helps

Mav

#7 hdefined4

hdefined4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

Thanks, but that's not doing it. I uninstalled a few programs this morning, and the hard disk space is only dropping.

#8 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

SequoiaView will let you know exactly what is using the space. If the actual software you are installing is the one using the space, then it's perfectly normal. I have software installed in my Box that can use more than 8 gig's of space. So just check what the space is used by and make sure it's a known software for you. Sometimes you have more than once the same file and this can get lots of space of the HD

Mav

#9 mas_pogi

mas_pogi

Carpal Tunnel of Love

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

hi hdefined4.

I think you noticed the same way that I do.

My HDD just losing some of the free space from 137gb to 110 gb.

Here read this. http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista...shadow_copy.htm

Hope this solve your problem.

Mark

p.s.

I did not uncheck it. Anyways, I still got more fee space to fill. hehehhe :huh:

Edited by mas_pogi, 09 June 2008 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users