Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With Virtumonde.dll, Spybot Deleting Registry Values Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hello all

My Spybot scan revealed that i have been infected with 17-20 entries of virtumonde.dll. I have Vundofix on a usb drive, but am worried about running it because some people say that it is only for professionals. Maybe someone can help with with that issue?

Also, I have a question about spybot and deleting registry values. When the spybot window comes up saying that it has detected a change in registry values, the data is called "spybotdeleting(letter)(short number sequence)", and shows the old data as something like: "C:/windows/system32/(somekind of file, sometimes a "gibberish" file)" and the new data as nothing.

I have currently been accepting the changes because I have heard that the gibberish files are probably the virtumonde and that spybot is deleting something, so you should accept it. Am I doing the right thing?

If anyone can help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, tell me if i can stay in contact with you with more help if needed.

Thank you,
simpsonman3000

Edited by simpsonman3000, 24 May 2008 - 08:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

With Spybot's TeaTimer, whenever there is a registry change to the system, it pops up a notification to allow or deny. As long as you use the Teatimer feature you are going to get alerts whenever there is a registry change to the system. If you selected deny change but keep getting the alert, then something is attempting to alter the registry and the pop-up notifications will continue.

TeaTimer alerts which show allowed or denied values are intended to remind you which registry changes are blocked. Spybot-S&D creates logs of TeaTimer's activity and stores them in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ folder. See here. To stop the alerts, follow the instructions in How to Disable TeaTimer.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using "Vundofix". -- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the 'Fix Vundo' button.
  • After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will automatically be saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt.
  • Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.
-- If you receive this error: "Run-time error '339': Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid", a new copy and instructions on where to put it can be found here.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Do I need to run the programs in safe mode? And in that order (Vundofix, MBAM)?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

No need for safe mode. Just follow the instructions I provided and in the order given.

#5 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

ok well here is the issue:

i ran vundofix, it found nothing. Then I ran spybot, it found 7 entries of virtumonde.dll. it said it cleaned them, but then it relocated it.

then i ran avira antivir and it found 22 infected files. i told it to move all of them to quarantine. at the end, it said some were infected and locked and could not be deleted and that windows had to be restarted IMMEDIATELY after closing antivir, but i held down the power button but so far have not restarted.

i dont know why vundofix found nothing, and avira constantly finds "gibberish".dll files (ex. xylxxyak.dll)

and it says they are part of "TP/CRYPT.gen" trojan or something like that and ADSPY trojan, also virtumonde trojan.

i have no idea where to go from here. my virus scanners find them but cant delete them. however, i can still use my computer normally except internet, which i do not try for fear of rogue antispyware (ex. winfixer) popups.

any help would be appreciated

ps. i know something about computers, but am young

Edited by simpsonman3000, 26 May 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Spybot cannot deal with this infection. You need to continue with the instructions for scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

#7 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

ok. i will turn back on my laptop and run with vundofix again; if if detects nothing, i will still paste the log up in my next reply (if there is a log).

i will then scan with malwarebytes and post that log (if there is one).

happy memorial day.

#8 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

SCANS ARE COMPLETED. HERE ARE THE RESULTS.

Vundofix Log *These results are from 2 scans*

VundoFix V7.0.5

Scan started at 11:26:51 PM 5/25/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

No infected files were found.

VundoFix V7.0.5

Scan started at 6:51:44 PM 5/26/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

No infected files were found.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware Log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12
Database version: 789

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 71803
Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 20
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87255c51-cd7d-4506-b9ad-97606daf53f3} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xbtb01629.ietoolbar (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xbtb01629.ietoolbar.1 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xbtb01629.xbtb01629 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xbtb01629.xbtb01629.3 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar3.xbtp01629 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\toolbar3.xbtp01629.1 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1b728c8d-9f82-41fa-93cc-25445f51fc70} (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{5fbb9b9a-267b-445b-8290-15a3b8f7e9e8} (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{b25ccaae-adb0-4fc3-ba93-bafb08e743ea} (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trymedia Systems (Adware.Trymedia) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XBTB01629.XBTB01629Toolbar (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XBTB01629 (Adware.Softomate) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Screensavers.com (Adware.Comet) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nhtgakec.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cekagthn.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Virginia Cooper\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\O4AEOWN5\kb456456[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

It appears that they have all been successfully deleted. They are all remaining in my quarantine list until I receive clearance from you to delete them. I will run a scan with all of my current antivirus programs (Avira Antivir Premium, Spyware Terminator, Spybot SD, and, of course, SPYSHERIFF :thumbsup: ) to make sure all traces have been deleted. I will reply back to any of your following replies with my results.

BTW, I installed the WebSecurityGuard program offered with Spyware Terminator in order to not allow this to occur again. Could you possibly give me some feedback about this product if you know any or a free product that helps to avoid downloading stuff like virtumonde again?

-simpsonman3000

Edited by simpsonman3000, 26 May 2008 - 10:36 PM.

#9 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

I ran a scan with Avira Antivir and it found articles of a few trojans (TR/Crypt.XPACK.gen and TR/PrivacySet.A) in the C:\ System Volume Information\_restore...\A(7 numbers).dll file. I believe this is the system restore folder, which will cause the trojan to reinstall if i do system restore? I currently have all instances of these (about 251 of them, all in a different part of the restore folder) quarantined within Antivir.

Can you tell me what to do from here (ex. disable system restore, etc.) if anything is necssary?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

When an anti-virus quarantines a file by moving it into a virus vault (chest), that file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system. The quarantined file is safely held there and no longer a threat until you take action to delete it. Quarantine is just an added safety measure. When the quarantined file is known to be bad, you can delete it at any time so go ahead and remove them.

The infected RP***\A00*****.exe file(s) identified by your scan are in the System Volume Information Folder (SVI) which is a part of System Restore. This is the feature that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer to a clean working state. The SVI folder is protected by permissions that only allow the system to have access and is hidden by default unless you have reconfigured Windows to show it.

System Restore will back up the good as well as the bad files so when malware is present on the system it gets included in any restore points as an A00***** file. When you scan your system with anti-virus or anti-malware tools, you may receive an alert or notification that a virus was found in the SVI folder (System Restore points) but the anti-virus software was unable to remove it. Since the SVI folder is a protected directory, most scanning tools cannot access it to disinfect or delete these files. If not removed, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point.

To remove these file(s), the easiest thing to do is Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state and use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.

Web Security Guard Features

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".
"How to Set Security Options in the Firefox Browser".

#11 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

Quietman7:

i can't thank you enough! It looks as though all trojans and vundo has been removed from my precious laptop. Malwarebytes really did the trick! All system restore files have been quarantined as well! All I need to know is 2 things: 1. Can I delete the files from for Avira Antivir quarantine file, as that will delete them and not allow them to be restored? and 2. Are there any final measures I need to take in order to do one final once-through?

Sincerely,
simpsonman3000

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

Yes delete your bad files in Avira's quarantine. That should do it. Then follow the instructions for creating a new restore point/purging the old and read the links I provided for tips to prevent reinfection.

#13 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

ok well once again quietman i cant thank you enough for getting me past this annoying problem.
i was just wondering if there's a way that I can become a person such as yourself who has the authority to help other people on bleepingcomputer the way that you helped me.
basically, i just want to be able to help people remove viruses, spyware, etc from their computers
can you give me any info?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

You're welcome.

I will send you the information your are seeking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users