Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death And Mfehidk.sys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LoneTexan

LoneTexan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

Yesterday, May 17, my computer crased with the BSOD. After reviewing the forums I'm not sure but perhaps the BSOD is standard message except for identifying the driver or ptoblem. Mine said in part...."if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the mfg'er for driver update. Try changing video adapter.....Check with hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

Disable memory options such as caching and shadowing. If need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, ......."

I just quickly jotted down in short hand the message. But at the bottom it gave the file name as mfehidk.sys

I tried in safe mode but only had but a minute , possibly two before BSOD. It had as the error __Pool__Header

Reboot again in safe mode , the file name given in the BSOD was win32te.sys

I have Acronis backup software with a secure zone. It comes up first with an option to go to
Acronis startup before windows loads by hitting the F11 key. Tried that to restore. The computer froze up before I was able to complete the request for restore.

My next step was to borrow a computer. Download a free 15 day trial of Acronis backup software on the borrowed computer. I removed the hard drive from my BSOD computer and placed it in an usb enclosure. From there I was able to restore a mirror image of the c: partition. The backup was done on May 8. Today is May 18. I thought perhaps the restore would work since it was a good partition on that date. I removed the drive from the usb enclosure and placed it back in the bad computer. It did boot but stayed up only a minute or so. The BSOD error message this time was

VER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

At the moment I have the hard drive in the usb enclosure. There is a dump file there but the one after
I restored the partition and rebotted with that drive back in the BSOD computer.

Not sure where to go from here or what can be done. The system stays up but for a minute or so at best before getting the blue screen of death again. A couple of times it didn't boot at all. The BSOD computer is an Acer laptop 1662. Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

This kind of behaviour can be cause by hardware failure, so I would try testing the hardware.

Run a diagnostic test on the hard drive. If you go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer you should be able to find a diagnostic test utility.

Test your RAM with Memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 LoneTexan

LoneTexan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

This kind of behaviour can be cause by hardware failure, so I would try testing the hardware.

Run a diagnostic test on the hard drive. If you go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer you should be able to find a diagnostic test utility.

Ran the Seatools diagnostic from Seagate. Hard drive checked out fine. Did both the short and long test. Tested it while in an usb enclosure. With the computer unable to stay booted up in safe mode but for a minute or so at best I have concerns about being able to do a memory test. Considering buying some memory and then check. Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Of course, I may be stuck with a memory module if still experience problems.

#4 LoneTexan

LoneTexan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Ran the Seatools diagnostic from Seagate. Hard drive checked out fine. Did both the short and long test. Tested it while in an usb enclosure. With the computer unable to stay booted up in safe mode but for a minute or so at best I have concerns about being able to do a memory test. Considering buying some memory and then check. Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Of course, I may be stuck with a memory module if still experience problems.

You know, you guys fixed a serious problem for me a few years ago. You are the best! I should know better than not to take your recommendations exactly as you state them. I did download and burned to cd the memtest program. Booted up and started testing. It only got to 2% of test and stopped. 0% pass. Type: Gen_Prot Shut off and tried to boot again. It didn't even get to the memtest program. Took one of two memory modules out. Started up again with the bootable memtest cd. At least this time it is running through the tests. My screen for some reason is messing up but it is at 82% pass success at the moment. Will update later. By the way I'm using a separate attached Samsung SyncMaster 906BW monitor. My laptop screen went out several months ago. May be the bulb or other part.

#5 LoneTexan

LoneTexan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

Budapest,

Thank you for your recommendation for the tests to be performed. I thought I had it solved the other night with a bad memory set in one of the two memory slots I have. Pulled it out and replaced it with a new 1 Gig memory board. That lasted for about 45 minutes that night with no BSOD. Until the next morning. The BSOD kept coming back. Did the same tests over again. Pulling the hard drive out to perform the Seagate drive test and doing a chkdsk /f. Rain the memory tests again. And yes even with the new memory installed I received errors. I pulled the new memory out of slot 1 as well as one of the orignal remaining memory board (slot 2) that tested good. Put the new memory into slot 2. Ran a long memory test and all was fine. It appears there is something not right with the memory slot 1.

The computer booted and ran without a hitch for a couple of hours last night and have been using it all day today with no problems whatsoever. Actually it seems to perform better.

Thanks,

LoneTexan

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

That was a good idea to test the memory in different slots, because as you found sometimes it's the slot and not the memory itself that's the problem. Anyway, I'm happy to hear you discovered the cause of the problems.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users