Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashes, Grinding, Nvidia Boot Manager.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Xene

Xene

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

So, Here I am looking for help, hoping this post does not get ignored and whatnot (Not that anyone here does, though other forums drop things they can't solve).
So, im going to explain is as much detail as I can what my problem is, I do not remember when it started, I have been coping with it for over a month now.
I do not remember if I ever downloaded anything that caused this issue and I doubt it.

Lets start with my system specifications.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6371 (English)
Driver Date/Size: 9/17/2007 01:07:00, 5783040 bytes
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

If you do need any more feel free to ask, also if you need more of my dxdiag log thing, I can post this as well.
Other techies seemed to be interested in asking me what my motherboard was, it's a nForce4.

These crashes usually freeze my applications though the mouse can still move, but nothing works. So I am forced to hold down the power button to turn it off.

I do know how to debug minidump files, so heres what it said (The driver running in an infinite loop part is important):

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
The device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for
hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware
itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
If the kernel debugger is connected and running when watchdog detects a
timeout condition then DbgBreakPoint() will be called instead of KeBugCheckEx()
and detailed message including bugcheck arguments will be printed to the
debugger. This way we can identify an offending thread, set breakpoints in it,
and hit go to return to the spinning code to debug it further. Because
KeBugCheckEx() is not called the .bugcheck directive will not return bugcheck
information in this case. The arguments are already printed out to the kernel
debugger. You can also retrieve them from a global variable via
"dd watchdog!g_WdBugCheckData l5" (use dq on NT64).
On MP machines it is possible to hit a timeout when the spinning thread is
interrupted by hardware interrupt and ISR or DPC routine is running at the time
of the bugcheck (this is because the timeout's work item can be delivered and
handled on the second CPU and the same time). If this is the case you will have
to look deeper at the offending thread's stack (e.g. using dds) to determine
spinning code which caused the timeout to occur.
Arguments:
Arg1: 858db798, Pointer to a stuck thread object. Do .thread then kb on it to find
the hung location.
Arg2: 864f93f8, Pointer to a DEFERRED_WATCHDOG object.
Arg3: f78becb4, Pointer to offending driver name.
Arg4: 00000001, Number of times "intercepted" bugcheck 0xEA was hit (see notes).

Debugging Details:
------------------

FAULTING_THREAD: 858db798

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xEA

PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 804f8e6e to 80540b9f

STACK_TEXT:
f1451a10 804f8e6e f78beb40 f78beb70 00000000 nt!KiUnlockDispatcherDatabase+0x77
f1451a24 f0473a67 f78beb94 00000000 00000000 nt!KeSetEvent+0x74
f1451d18 804fd18b f78beb40 f1451d64 f1451d58 watchdog!WatchdogKernelApc+0x13b
f1451d68 806d0c35 00000000 00000000 f1451d80 nt!KiDeliverApc+0xb3
f1451d68 805272d6 00000000 00000000 f1451d80 hal!HalpApcInterrupt+0xc5
f1451df0 f5e85d7b ed56e400 f5ea871b 863ef6a0 nt!READ_REGISTER_ULONG+0x6
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
f1451df8 f5ea871b 863ef6a0 855be9e8 00009400 nv4_mini+0x69d7b
f1451dfc 863ef6a0 855be9e8 00009400 855be9e8 nv4_mini+0x8c71b
f1451e00 855be9e8 00009400 855be9e8 855be9e8 0x863ef6a0
f1451e04 00000000 855be9e8 855be9e8 00001388 0x855be9e8

STACK_COMMAND: .thread 0xffffffff858db798 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nv4_mini+69d7b
f5e85d7b ?? ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 6

SYMBOL_NAME: nv4_mini+69d7b

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nv4_mini

IMAGE_NAME: nv4_mini.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 46ee3d77

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_nv4_mini.sys_DATE_2007_09_17

BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_nv4_mini.sys_DATE_2007_09_17

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Now then, Every time it crashes you would normally just turn it back on right?
But, when I just turn it back on, it apparently can't find the drive/the driver won't start because it goes to a black screen with Nvidia boot manager trying to find the drive (I think) and after waiting, it to says drive not found insert disk and press enter or something along the lines of that. If needed I could attempt to take a picture of this.
But after this, I have to turn it back off, and after waiting about 6-10 minutes it works again.

Now about the grinding noise, when turning on the computer it normally beeps (Alienware comp) after getting past the windows logo screen, about at the blue login screen it starts to grind a bit (when its going on a 2nd layer of loading). If I react too fast (Open firefox, etc) too quick It freezes again sometimes. So pushing the right side of the case lowers the sound of the grinding though.

Other details:
Event viewer likes to put little "disk" errors in the system part.
It puts warnings, of event 51, that just says the source is disk.
it includes:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If you need me to post anything from the data box part, just ask.

Well you might think this could be a power problem, but when the drive "Runs its infinite loop" the computer is still on and the mouse is movable, and the fan is still running, so it cannot be a power problem.

Thats pretty much it, if you need any info to aid you, feel free to post it here and ill try to help as soon as possible. I do hope you can fix/aid me with my problem, thanks for your time.

Edited by Xene, 18 May 2008 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 830 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:43 PM

To the grinding, id tell yah to pop the case open and tell us the direction of the noise, make sure no cables are in the way of the fans (Although if its an alienware it might have liquid cooling in it) Also check the hard drive that would be a pain in the butt if thats going.

To the crashing, I noticed in the debugged dump that the process problem was within explorer.exe, I'd also venture a guess to you to uninstall and reinstall a fresh driver for your video card. Back to the explorer.exe, if you got to task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click on the processes tab you should see explorer.exe in there somewhere. Click on it and click end process, now go back into the tasks tab. Click on the new task button and type in explorer.exe This should minimize the amount of times you have to reboot if it wants to act up before you successfully reinstall the driver.

Also the driver may fix the BSOD's because they are usually triggered by driver issues.

And to that drive issue id tell you to go to Start>Run type in cmd and press enter. On the box that opens up try typing in chkdsk /r and answer "Y" to the question and reboot your computer so it can check for errors on the drive.

Post back tell me if I helped. :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer :flowers:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 18 May 2008 - 12:45 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

To the grinding, id tell yah to pop the case open and tell us the direction of the noise, make sure no cables are in the way of the fans (Although if its an alienware it might have liquid cooling in it) Also check the hard drive that would be a pain in the butt if thats going.

To the crashing, I noticed in the debugged dump that the process problem was within explorer.exe, I'd also venture a guess to you to uninstall and reinstall a fresh driver for your video card. Back to the explorer.exe, if you got to task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click on the processes tab you should see explorer.exe in there somewhere. Click on it and click end process, now go back into the tasks tab. Click on the new task button and type in explorer.exe This should minimize the amount of times you have to reboot if it wants to act up before you successfully reinstall the driver.

Also the driver may fix the BSOD's because they are usually triggered by driver issues.

And to that drive issue id tell you to go to Start>Run type in cmd and press enter. On the box that opens up try typing in chkdsk /r and answer "Y" to the question and reboot your computer so it can check for errors on the drive.

Post back tell me if I helped. :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer :trumpet:

Thanks for the reply,
If It ever crashes again Ill be sure to open it quick and check out whats grinding. No cables where in the way, and I restarted explorer.exe. Ill reinstall my Graphics card and Ill post back here if it crashes again, and with whats grinding, I do hope its not my HDD :flowers:.
To the checkdisk, It auto check-disked at least 2 times within the wide span of when this started occuring, It deletes a few things then it re-adds them in the 3rd step or something.

Ill let you know my findings, Thanks again.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Since you're in Windows, go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their Windows diagnostic utility and run it on your hard drive to see if it's OK.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

I've re-installed my drivers, though it still occurs, Never grinded yet.

And usasma, How might I find out the manufacturer of my Hard drive?

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Not meaning to butt in but try this program...It tells you a lott of information about your computer. Download the version with the installer....

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well, Now it froze this one time this afternoon and now It says that Windows/system32/something/system is missing or corrupt.
So I put in a windows CD and get to the recover part after selecting which one, I get a bluescreen with something involving the registry and a stop error.
So....Is my HDD pretty much messed up now? Did I get a head crash or anything? I can't do anything with the computer, Hope you guys can help.

EDIT: The file that it says is corrupt or missing is
System32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

and heres what the blue screen when I try to repair is.

REGISTRY_ERROR
STOP 0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0xE1139008, 0x00446000, 0x000001D5)

Edited by Xene, 21 May 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

A faulty hard drive is a common cause of STOP 0x00000051 errors. You should run that diagnostic test on the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

A faulty hard drive is a common cause of STOP 0x00000051 errors. You should run that diagnostic test on the drive.

How could I run a diagnostic test when the computer cannot get in windows?
It bluescreens after I select the C:\WINDOWS drive to be repaired.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

You can download a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (if you can't get into Windows, you'll have to open the case and look at the drive to find the manufacturer). This will boot to another operating system to run the tests.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#11 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

My manufacturer is seagate, and I used the seatools DOS program for bootup and I passed the "Long test" of my HDD.
Now what? Im going to attempt to start my computer once again.

EDIT: Still corrupt, Should I try and repair again?

Edited by Xene, 22 May 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

After seleting C:\WINDOWS as my windows installed drive thing, I still get the REGISTRY_ERROR Bluescreen.

#14 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

Well, I ran memtest+, Nothing was wrong again.....
Is there any other option then re-installing windows?

#15 Xene

Xene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Does anyone know of a GUI way that lets me export some information into a flash drive thats not Ubuntu Because apparently ubuntu does not detect my type of HDD.

Like on boot without the requirement of windows?

Edited by Xene, 24 May 2008 - 04:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users