Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Type Libraries

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

I recently switched from the highly touted CCleaner, which constantly caused problems, to Glary Utilities which I appreciate more each day. When I scan the registry it comes up with nearly 100 missing type libraries in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\etc. I am afraid to remove them. I have lost all my icons, not the desktop icons but ALL file icons and don't want to do anything to compound my problem.

My questions are:
What are type libraries?
Could this possibly be related to my icon problem?
Is it safe to remove them?

Thanks.

HP Pavilion - PentiumŪ 4CPU
160GB HDD 512 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home

Edited by boopme, 17 May 2008 - 09:44 AM.
Moved from XP to all other apps~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

The following is an excerpt from this article. A type library is a binary file containing all the type information you need to use procedures. The article goes on to explain this in simpler terms.

There are three files associated with error, * stdole32.tlb,* stdole2.tlb,* stdole.tlb. Go to Start> Search> All files and folders and enter stdole*.tlb in the All or part of file name, click on enter. See if one of these three files is missing.

You may need to run a repair installation. There is a pretty good tutorial here if you need some help.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

The following is an excerpt from this article. A type library is a binary file containing all the type information you need to use procedures. The article goes on to explain this in simpler terms.

There are three files associated with error, * stdole32.tlb,* stdole2.tlb,* stdole.tlb. Go to Start> Search> All files and folders and enter stdole*.tlb in the All or part of file name, click on enter. See if one of these three files is missing.

You may need to run a repair installation. There is a pretty good tutorial here if you need some help.

The search turned up all three files mentioned above and 3 more files of the same name(s) showing in blue font located in C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache.

Thanks for the links.

I do not understand why my post was moved. My problem is with XP. All my problems are with XP. Aren't missing type libraries an OS issue? I only mentioned Glary Utilities as an explanation for how I came by the information that the type libraries were missing. Are type libraries part of individual applications rather than Windows? I am asking so I won't post in the wrong place again. I also have a plethora of errors regarding Symbol Files showing in Dr Watson logs and would think the post should go in Windows XP - but maybe not??

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

If you're wondering why it was moved, the best course of action is to send a PM to the moderator that moved it. In this case that would be boopme
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users