Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop Up Ads Have Taken Over Ie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sonorsig

sonorsig

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

All,

Within 10 to 20 seconds of opening IE, I start to get ad pop ups. A real pain in the neck. I have pop up blocker on but to no avail. This started after I downloaded a song from Lime Wire and when I tried to play it a window came up saying I needed a CODEC for this. When I said OK (big mistake obviously) it started to download something. I tried to stop it but was unsuccessful. Initially it also took over IE and changed my home page. I purchased AVG and HiJack this and ran them. They were able fix the home page issue but I still get the ad pop ups as soon as I start to use IE. Any help fixing this would be appreciated.

Joe W.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

HI :thumbsup: may one ask what you did WITH the HJT tool?

what is your windows version? and , to help prevent any infections FROM that vein , can you UNinstall limewire please

what other protection programs are on baord, and when last fully updated and run on full deep scans?

#3 sonorsig

sonorsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the quck reply. I am running Win XP SP2 with AVG8 and HJT. I updated AVG last night and ran a deep scan but to no avail. As soon as I open IE the ad pop ups start again. I have also run HJT several times and it seems to find all kinds of things but not being that savy I don't want to just willy nilly let it delete items.

Thanks again

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

the mp3/wma malware is supposedly a low level infection

avg should handle it, I might request a refund

but anyways let's try another program
MBAM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry811062
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 sonorsig

sonorsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

So far so good. I ran Malware as suggested and it appears that sucker cleaned it up.

Many thanks as it was becoming a real pain.

Thanks again,

Joe W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users