Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Application Error, Running Slow, Pop-ups In Ie7 And Ff2.0.0.14, Cannot Access Certain Web Sites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nunuu

nunuu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hello.

I actually have several problems going on with my desktop computer (as noted in the subject).

Firstly, Firefox loads up slower than usual. This started happening on Monday or Tuesday this week -- pretty much when these crazy referenced memory errors started.

Secondly, I get a vague firefox.exe - Application Error: "The instruction at "0x02488520" referenced memory at "0x02488520". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate program."

It usually happens when I close the browser. Sometimes, though, it happens when I open or even during Web browsing. I don't recall it ever actually causing the browser to crash or close down though. The 0x0 numbers also vary from time to time. I just typed out what I just got now.

Actually, when I close the browser, I get XPCOM:Event Receiver: firefox.exe - Application Error and then the rest of the error babble about the referenced memory.

Thirdly, IE7 and Firefox both get hit with random pop-ups. This seems to usually happen after I use IE7 and then switch over to Firefox though. For what it's worth, I had Messenger disabled several years ago.

Lastly, with Firefox and sometimes even in IE, I can't get onto to certain Websites (such as BleepingComputer.com), I also can't run searches in Google or Yahoo. MSN.com is accessible and can be searched from. I haven't tried many other search pages though.

Right now, I'm typing all of this from the laptop which is thankfully free from this madness.

Additional information:
  • I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.
  • I get memory errors regardless of FF being in Safe Mode or if add-ons are installed or not.
  • I don't have a firewall running but I do have Ad-Aware and AntiVir installed. Both have been used for years.
  • I've actually run HijackThis! so I do have a log ready.
  • I've uninstalled Flash and Java before to see if Firefox would stop having the memory errors but it didn't help. I uninstalled the browser, removed the install directory and profiles, and did a clean install on another partition as well as even on an external hard drive but the error keeps coming back.
  • Ran MemTest and it reported that there were no RAM issues.
  • Ran Chkdsk on all drives with thorough scans and no errors came up.
Right now, I'm on the verge of formatting the C: drive and just reinstalling Windows but it's a completely last resort and even still, I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue.

Edited by nunuu, 15 May 2008 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

If you are having trouble logging into a website or Internet Explorer is behaving oddly, you may need to clear your cookies and temporary Internet files (browser cache). As you browse web pages, the browser stores a copy of the pages you view on your local hard drive; this is called caching. Clearing the cache forces the browser to load the latest versions of Web pages and programs you visit.

"How to Clear Cookies and Cache in Internet Explorer 6"
"How to Clear Cookies and Cache in Internet Explorer 7"
"How and Why to Clear Your Cache"
"How can I clear browser history? IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera"

If you have a lot of toolbars, BHOs and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling those which are unnecessary. Sometimes add-ons cause Internet Explorer to quit unexpectedly or not perform properly especially if the add-on was poorly designed or was created for an earlier version of Internet Explorer. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can also cause compatibility issues such as application hangs in IE. See Control Internet Explorer Add-ons with Add-on Manager and Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode.

Vista users see Internet Explorer Add-ons FAQs

If you would rather remove toolbars and add-ons rather than disable, many can easily be removed from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

If you are getting a lot of pop ups, then you should be doing anti-spyware scans.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users