Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Sp3 Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Shaw

Mike Shaw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hello,

My laptop (Toshiba A30) runs Windows XP Home + SP2.
I've gone to Microsoft Windows Update, It required "Active-X" before I could proceed. So I installed the "Active-X" but was it the correct thing to do? After checking my pc, Microsoft Windows Update strongly indicated I should down load SP3. I've heard bad reports about SP3 and I'm not sure, to download or not?

Regards,
Mike

Edit: Moved topic from All other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

I'm not downloading SP3. You can see there are problems with it if you read other threads. The other thing is that it's not even necessary if your Windows updates are up to date. I don't need SP3.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

The answer to your question about installing Active X controls from the windows update page is that if you don't the quick scan (to check for available updates) won't work....If you are downloading from the OFFICIAL updates page there should be no problem.

As far as SP3 is concerned, there have been a few issues with people installing it on some AMD systems. It mostly has something to do with on how the manufacturer set up the operating system. I used update and installed it with no problem.
I did De-fragment, run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans before doing so along with starting a restore point (in case something went wrong). The other things to consider are to un-install IE7 before updating. As it stands right now, if you don't do this you won't be able to un-install IE7 (if you have problems with it) without un-installing SP3 first...Minor inconvience IMHO.

Check out this thread for more information:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...rt=#entry820837
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users