Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Getting Hdd To Show Full Size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

I just recently did a upgrade to my computer. Getting new memory and adding a 500GB HDD in place of my 80GB one which had crashed. After I started it I noticed my computer wasn't reading the full 500GB on the main HDD but it could read my 250GB storage HDD just fine. My Cousin says its the motherboard thats the problem. Now I've called the tech support responsible for the motherboard and have yet to get an answer so I'll ask here since I can usually find a solution to my problem here. Heres what I'm running and if theres anything else you need just ask me and I'll see if I can get it for you.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N5X 1.XX

Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N5X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 06/01/2006

HDD's: WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1, s/n
WD-WCANK6621635, rev 10.02E02, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD5000AAKB-00YSA0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
WD-WCAS85490729, rev 12.01C02, SMART Status: Healthy

Local Drive Volumes: c: (NTFS on drive 0) 137.43 GB 78.55 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 1) 250.06 GB 3.49 GB free

I think that should be all you need. I also have Belarc Advisor which is where I'm getting the info. Also I'm up to date on Microsoft updates as of 4/8/08. I checked at the ASUS site and looked at the bios but I'm not sure which one to get and install because my Cousin also told me that if I downloaded and installed the wrong bios update my computer would be down again. I've searched their forums as well but the only thing that comes close to answering my question was a list of their motherboards that were, logic 48 i believe it was, compatible.

Thanks for the help and time
-Soulesskiller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 19,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

When you installed XP on the 500GB hdd was the PS2 on a separate disc? If the SP2 isn't installed the BIOS will only recognize a maximum capacity of 137GB of hdd space.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:49 AM

The SP2 was installed through the microsoft update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users