Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse Downloader.wimad.e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thebestrc

thebestrc

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:27 AM

AVG detected this virus in one of the mp3's i have on the pc and move selected file to virus vault. I then clicked remove selected infections and an AVG pop-up told me that a reboot was required in order to finish the cleaning process. I did so but now I have problems with reduced net speed and also a Window flashes up every time i load windows and i am unable to see what it is.

Could it be possible that the virus is still on the pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Did you ever click on one of those mp3's and windows media player opened a IE window and told you to install a special player for that mp3?
Did you install that player? It's a hoax to get you to install adware
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

Nope . tried to play it with VLC. No IE window opened. No Codec installed.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

You should be fine, this started quite some time ago, but the files were wma's. The infection is considered low risk, but to me it's a doorway into your computer that can be reprogrammed later for more heavy duty infections.

And I used to always tell everyone, mp3's, avi's and jpegs were safe, somebody will find a way to use ms picture and fax viewer to exploit some vulberabilty MS has introduced to enhance our experience with another useless bell or whistle.

rant off
Chewy

#5 mass killer

mass killer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

hey hi ! What happens if we have downloaded that softwares that is prompted by the Mp3 player. I am unable to open my drives and whenever I start my computer some messages like wproxp.exe is not existing in the dirctory or it is an invalid path. I scanned my system n number of times and today it detected a trojan horse [trojan horse.wimad.e] i m using AVG 8.0 version will there be any kind of problem in future after i remove that. And will i able to open my drives, because every time i open it , it asks me the program i would like to open it with. :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

hey hi ! What happens if we have downloaded that softwares that is prompted by the Mp3 player. I am unable to open my drives and whenever I start my computer some messages like wproxp.exe is not existing in the dirctory or it is an invalid path. I scanned my system n number of times and today it detected a trojan horse [trojan horse.wimad.e] i m using AVG 8.0 version will there be any kind of problem in future after i remove that. And will i able to open my drives, because every time i open it , it asks me the program i would like to open it with. :thumbsup:

1. start your own thread

2. once the infection is cleared then if the problem of autoplay still exists then another subforum will be more appropriate
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users