Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.5 Constant Pop Up Ad Window

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

I thought I was alone in suffering from AVG 7.5's constant pop up ad begging me to upgrade to the paid Version (8.0) every time I boot my computer. But it seems few other people are complaining about it as well. Here are some links:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=786494
http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?...p;Number=600187
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic349659-60.html

Now the pop up window doesn't even have the 'X' cancel button in the corner! You are forced to choose either upgrade or upgrade later! I am hearing that there is a free Edition of 8.0, but there is no sign of it anywhere in the pop up window, just the paid version.

It also looks like some people are having problems with the Free Edition 8.0 as well as the paid version, false positives etc.

Haven't upgraded yet...

Anyone having the same problem(s)?

Edited by Juha, 02 May 2008 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Just came here to see if there were any answers. I just noticed the window when I got home. I haven't searched for an AVG free replacement upgrade yet
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

I guess I ought NOT to 'complain ' but on my Win 98se computer with Hosts

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

on board and avg7.5 installed and regulary updated, so far I have

NOT seen this 'pop up' ad ....................................

and do not wish to either :thumbsup:

#4 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Yes, I get this pop up too with the (paid) AVG7.5 security suite. What troubles me is not the popup itself, but the fact that I don't like being encouraged to 'upgrade' to a package that doesn't seem to be ready for general consumption yet - well, not ready for my consumption, anyway. I want to see, at the very least, the Spywareblaster/Spybot/ActiveX bug properly fixed before I try it.

Edited by Alan D, 02 May 2008 - 02:03 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

I found this at http://www.lockergnome.com/
Download link at bottom of article.
Note that if using Vista, you might have to download a patch. Link provided in post
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Yes, I get this pop up too with the (paid) AVG7.5 security suite.

How do you withstand the pop up coming right in your face, especially when you have paid for the anti-virus! I am on the Free Edition and this frequent pop up ad is already getting on my nervous...

garmanma, thanks for that link.

However, I am still wondering when to download this latest version, 8.0. I don't know how long I'll be able to/run version 7.5 before I'm forced to upgrade by the persistent pop ups!

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Email AVG tell them your not upgrading until they sort out their SpywareBlaster conflict?

My cousin's haven't reported getting these pop-ups so I guess they are targeting users slowly?

Why don't you try to upgrade to AVG 8? The ActiveX compat problem isn't that bad - There is a workaround here
AVG seems to be going down a hill at the moment - Pop-ups about upgrading, not taking care of the SpywareBlaster conflict whats next???

David

Edited by david28, 02 May 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#8 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

How do you withstand the pop up coming right in your face, especially when you have paid for the anti-virus!

Meditation? Tranquilisers?

But seriously - in the priority list of reasons why I am not very happy about AVG right now (don't get me started!), and why I may choose not to renew my subscription when it expires, that pop-up is down at about number 97. The other issues are serious, but the popup can be dismissed with a click.

I have no intention of upgrading to AVG8 until I'm fully persuaded that they've sorted the problems out. Why rush to change from the 7.5 version that works reliably and well, to a prematurely-released version containing known bugs that AVG themselves seem unwilling to acknowledge?

Edited by Alan D, 03 May 2008 - 03:31 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#9 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

>I have no intention of upgrading to AVG8 until I'm fully persuaded that they've sorted the problems out. Why rush to change from the 7.5 version that works reliably and well, to a prematurely-released version containing known bugs that AVG themselves seem unwilling to acknowledge?<

Be aware that support for version 7, free and/or paid for, ceases at end May 2008.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:28 AM

Be aware that support for version 7, free and/or paid for, ceases at end May 2008.

we know that support and updates for version 7.5 on windows with versions 98se and earlier will cease from September 08

but can you please link to where you get the information for the 'ceases at end May 2008. ' please?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

but can you please link to where you get the information for the 'ceases at end May 2008. ' please?

Mine showed up on my Desktop in an AVG update window
Mark
Posted Image

#12 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

I was getting constant pop-ups from version 7.5 systray icon advising me and urging the upgrade to version 8

Edited by alumbagh, 03 May 2008 - 09:46 AM.

#13 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

In March, they were saying that 7.5 products would be supported until the end of 2008 - see here:
http://www.excel-it.co.uk/index.php?act=latestNews

I wonder if this May31st information refers to the free edition?

Edited by Alan D, 03 May 2008 - 11:04 AM.

#14 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

http://www.excel-it.co.uk/index.php?act=latestNews

Support For AVG 7.5
AVG 7.5 products will be supported (updates, technical and sales support) until the end of 2008.

?????

not MAY of 2008 though...................

meanwhile I have just had to run MY avg and noticed a small thingi ON the bottom left of the avg screan adivsing me OF the avg 8.0 version :thumbsup:

#15 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:43 AM

not MAY of 2008 though...................

Yes - that's the point I was making. Have they changed their minds about when the support will end? It would be very strange if they ceased support for paid versions of 7.5 while people still have valid licences for it (mine doesn't expire until October 2008, for instance).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users