Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Host Process (rundll32) Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 holly1

holly1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

I get the error message "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working..." just after logging in. I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit version. I also have uninstalled several programs via the control panel, but when I go to msconfig and look at the services and startup list, executables and services relating to these uninstalled programs are still on those lists. Also I just started getting the Rundll32 message after installing Vista Service Pack 1. Also, right after installing this service pack, winamp version 5.52 just stopped working and when i try to play a song, i get an error code 88780078. Any clues to a solution?

Thanks,
Holly1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hello, holly1. :huh: to BleepingComputer.com!

I would like to get a look at your event logs to help diagnose your issue. Please follow these instructions to send me the logs:
  • Go to Start -> Run
  • Enter "compmgmt.msc" (without quotes)
  • Press enter or click Ok at the bottom of the Run prompt.
  • You will be presented with a two pane window with a tree on the left side.
    Expand the "Event Viewer" portion of the tree, by clicking the little plus sign next to "Event Viewer"
  • When you have done that, right click each of the logs in the tree and choose "Save Log File As..."
  • Save the file to your desktop with the filename of the log. (In other words, if the log is "Application" save it as Application)
  • Go to Bill's File Upload Website, and upload each of your event logs.
  • You can then delete the logs from your desktop.
Hope we can get this fixed,

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#3 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Bill, while i was trying to upload files to your site, i got this message

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /home/.payton/onealb/billy-oneal.com/fileUpload/upload.php on line 5
Sorry, there was a problem uploading your file. Please tell Bill its broken.

I did not save the log files under event viewer>microsoft>windows... because there were about 40 files each with several events in them. Do you need all of these, or will the others be sufficient?

Thank you,
holly1

#4 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Correction.

The logs i did not save were under:

event viewer>applications and services logs>microsoft>windows...

#5 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

If you do need all of these things, is there a way that i can enable you to look directly at my computer from your remote location so that i do not take up an enormous amount of space uploading everything to your site?

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

There is.. but its a bigger pain to setup than it is to copy event logs...
Plus, it gives me complete control of your computer.. something I do not want to do.

I'll reply back by the end of tonight.... Ive been working on a tool to automate this process anyway... seems it's as good a time as any to test it ;)

See you later tonight,
Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Nevermind.. already found the problem:
Does this date and time look correct?
4/8/2008 6:16:49 PM
Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module nvapi.dll, version 7.15.11.6743, time stamp 0x47318935, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00027b20, process id 0x770, application start time 0x01c899c63c6f5146.

Thats your nVidia driver. Try downloading the latest from http://nvidia.com (download drivers link in top left)

Billy3
GitHub - Twitter

#8 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

I tried going to nvidia.com. My video card is GeForce 8400M/9600M GS. I downloaded the driver for this card and upon the installation, i get the message: "NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

I have noticed that my Realtek High Definition Audio driver is not digitally signed and I cannot download a driver from Realtek that is digitally signed. Apparently vista sp1 will not allow me to override the non-digitally signed drivers so my audio driver is not working either. When I try to update it, i get a message saying "access denied".

I really appreciate all your support. I'm not entirely computer illiterate, but Vista has thrown me for a loop.

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

Sorry.. I didnt know you had a laptop

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.

Why can you not download the signed audio driver?

64bit vista requires drivers to be digitally signed. This to prevent malware from writing thier own drivers (such as rootkits) and hijacking the system itself.

You should not be trying to override this protection. If you do, you open your system to all kinds of malware.

What it boils down to: you need to get an nvidia driver from the manufacturer.

Good luck!

Billy3
GitHub - Twitter

#10 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

I think that I have two problems. One, the NVIDIA driver; and two, the Realtek HD audio driver. I have tried several things with the audio driver. Going into the device manager and updating the driver that was there gave me the error message I mentioned in a previous post. It also came back in the list of drivers on the device manager as "unknown device". i went to Realtek's website and downloaded the Realtek HD audio driver for 32 bit Vista and installed it (it said I this was successful). Although this method said it was installed successfully, I still get no sound on my computer and there was no change from the "unknown device" under sound, video, and game controllers in the device manager. I then went to HP's website and tried to download the audio driver from the link that was listed for software and driver downloads for my exact laptop. Same thing: no sound and "unknown device". When I searched for the error message that I gave in a previous post, I found that when it comes to drivers, "access denied" means that I am trying to install a driver that is not digitally signed and I found things which suggested I should change a setting which would prompt me to choose whether i wanted to go ahead with installing a driver that is not digitally signed. I tried to follow the steps outlined by that site to change this setting and the directions were nonsense as they are not working with my version of Vista. At this point, I am lost.

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yes, this cannot be overridden by default in vista x64. You will need to get drivers from the maker of your laptop. You should contact your laptop's maker for support.

Note that there are still a lot of issues with x64 windows... its not all smooth sailing. If the maker of the part does not provide a 64bit driver, you are out of luck.

Does this system have more than 4GB of ram? If not, you shouldn't be running x64.

Did this machine come with x64 on it? Then, as of right now, you really shouldnt be running x64.

Do you have the 32bit edition of Vista?

Billy3
GitHub - Twitter

#12 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

Bill, I think we are both confused. I am not running x64 Vista. I have 32-bit vista. This is the operating system that came with my laptop and I have not changed the operating system. As of just the other day, Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed Vista Service Pack 1 and that is when all my troubles began. I have 2GB of RAM, if you are wondering, but it should be irrelevant as I have 32 bit Vista. I am going to try to attach a screen print of the recent history from Windows Update. Please let me know if this gives you a clue. Also, my laptop is HP and I went to HP's website and downloaded the drivers for the audio driver and for NVIDIA that were recommended at that site (from HP's site) and am still having these problems.

Attached Files

#13 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

32bit vista allows unsigned drivers. If you are getting access denied problems, try running the installer for the audio drivers by right clicking the installer, and selecting "Run as administrator.."

Lets deal with the audio first, and then the video, otherwise we will be tripping all over ourselves ;)

Please download Bill's Debug Report Tool, and save it to your desktop.
Double click the file, and press "Yes", when asked to create a report.
A file called BillReport.7z will appear on your desktop.
Upload this file at http://billy-oneal.com/fileUpload

Please let me know if the program reports any errors, as this is the first time I have tried to use it for an issue like this :huh:

Good luck!

Billy3

EDIT: Oh.. and it concerns me that the graphics driver refuses to install correctly from windows update.. notice how they all say "failed"
Hopefully we can fix that :huh:

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 10 April 2008 - 10:51 PM.

GitHub - Twitter

#14 holly1

holly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Perhaps this will help clear things up as well. It is the information about my operating system.

Windows edition
Windows Vista Home Premium
Copyright 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Service Pack 1

System
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel Core™2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50 GHz 1.50 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

#15 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• 11,826 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Perhaps this will help clear things up as well. It is the information about my operating system.

Windows edition
Windows Vista Home Premium
Copyright 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Service Pack 1

System
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel Core™2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50 GHz 1.50 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

I believe you... Im just saying that x86 Vista allows unsigned drivers, it's only x64 that does not.

Can you run the tool mentioned previously?

Billy3
GitHub - Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users