Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does The Graphics Card Memory Type Matter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StartingOver

StartingOver

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Does the type of onboard memory a graphics card has need to match the memory the motherboard uses? My motherboard uses only DDR. Can the graphics card be DDR2 or DDR3 without causing compatibility issues?

Also, since the performance of the graphics card is limited by the front side bus on my motherboard, do I really need to spend the money for faster memory on the graphics card?

I am about to purchase:
2 GB RAM (2 x 1GB DDR 400 PC3200)
New power supply (Currently 250W with +12 rail @ 14V)
Extra cooling fan(s)
New graphics card (Trying to make the decision as to what I can afford! My son is a gamer on World of Warcraft. If I buy the system he really wants, I'll need a third mortgage!!!)

My system is:
HP Pavillion a620n
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz:
Advanced 400 MHz front side bus
Socket A
Via KM400A
Motherboard:
ASUS name: A7V8Z-LA
HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E

1 GB (1 PC2700 @512 MB & 1 PC3200 @ 512 MB)
184 pin, DDR1-333 SDRAM
160 GB Ultra DMA

Thanks!

Edited by MartyWalker, 06 April 2008 - 03:34 PM.

Just Remember "To Err Is Human" (To REALLY Foul Things Up Requires A Computer!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Yes, it will work so long as the slot is there and the power supply can support it. I'm using a card with GDDR3, my computer uses DDR2 RAM. The girlfriends comp uses GDDR3 and DDR1 RAM.

You probably already know, but if i can look like an idiot to save you some time/money/hassle then so be it. But you need an AGP card, PCIe cards will not work in that motherboard

#3 StartingOver

StartingOver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Yes, it will work so long as the slot is there and the power supply can support it. I'm using a card with GDDR3, my computer uses DDR2 RAM. The girlfriends comp uses GDDR3 and DDR1 RAM.

You probably already know, but if i can look like an idiot to save you some time/money/hassle then so be it. But you need an AGP card, PCIe cards will not work in that motherboard

Thanks, smurfgod. And thanks for the tip on the AGP vs PCIe slots on my motherboard. Yeah, I am, unfortunately, stuck with the AGP for now. I actually looked at starting with new motherboard and going that route but money is a major issue right now (like it is EVER a "minor" issue!!). Besides, if I ever get a chance to build one, I want to start from scratch, beginning with the tower.

Anyway, thanks again. And don't worry. Telling me something I know will not hurt me. Me missing the one thing I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN is where I always get into trouble! :thumbsup:
Just Remember "To Err Is Human" (To REALLY Foul Things Up Requires A Computer!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users