Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change the login/welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

Otherwise knows as the welcome screen, is what you see after your computer boots up. It lists all of the computers accounts an if they're password protected asks you for verification.
Note: This guide is for Windows Xp/2000 Users Only
First go to the following site, and download one of the Logon screens you like.

http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=26&u=0

Extract the files, to your hard drive. But extract them to a folder called Logonscreens. No spaces.

Now once you have the screen you like, follow the below instructions very carefully.
Select the start button and type regedit, this will open up your systems registry editor.

Expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows NT --> CurrentVersion --> Winlogon

You will see several different values, but for right now only find UIHost
The UIHost property specifies where the system looks for the logon screen. Right-Click UIHost and select Modify

Now just type in the full path to the file you downloaded. It should look something like this. C:/program files/Logonscreens/logonuiX.exe
Or something like that.

Now, Hold the start key you know the one with the windows logo on it. Then press L once. This should take you directly to the welcome screen. If you get an error saying this computer has been locked and can only be opened by the administrator. Then you typed the incorrect path to your logon screen. Get the administrator password, get back on and correct your mistake of entering a bad file path.

If you've done this right, good job you've just learned a bit of resource hacking.
If you experience major problems go back to tha area of registry and change the UIHost property to say logonui.exe that will set the screen back to its default.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

Nice tip. Don't know if I will ever use it since I don't spend much time looking at the logon screen. :thumbsup:

I'm a cautious guy, Techsomething. And I try to look out for the newbies that come here looking for very specific instructions. So first let me give the standard warning:

If you don't know what you're doing, make a backup of the registry before making any changes.

For those unfamiliar with the registry you'll need to know some basic information like the icons on the left that look like folders are keys and the entries on the right are values. Take a litle time to familiarize yourself with the registry before attmpting this or any hack. A basic tutorial on the registry, including how to back it up can be found in BC's tutorial section: Demystifying the Windows Registry

If you get an error saying this computer has been locked and can only be opened by the administrator. Then you typed the incorrect path to your logon screen.

This can be prevented by using a couple of cool freeware utilities and will make this registry hack a bit more user friendly:

Registrar Lite: An extended registry editor that is much more user friendly than regedit.

Ninotech's CopyPath: Adds to the context (right click) menu the ability to copy the path of files and folders to the clipboard. A tutorial on how to install and use the utility can be found here:
http://www.jimpix.co.uk/words/copypath.asp

So to do this hack with these utilites follow these steps:

1. Download and install the above two utilities.

2. Open RegLite and copy and paste the following bold text into the Address field and hit the green GO button:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Make sure the only space is between "Windows" and "NT".

This will take you right to the Winlogon key that will be colored blue.

3. Find and right click the UIHost value in the right pane and select Properties.

4. Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to the logon screen file you downloaded. Right click on it and choose Copy Path>Copy Long Path. Say you downloaded to a folder named My Download Files and the name of the file is logonE2E.exe. What has been copied to your clipboard will be this if your drive letter is C:
C:\My Download Files\logonE2E.exe

5. In the RegLite properties box, highlite the text in the Value field (toward the bottom), right click and choose Paste.

6. Confirm that the file path is correct--the above example would be:
[b]C:\My Download Files\logonE2E.exe[b]
Then click OK, Exit RegLite and do the test with the Windows key+L.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users