Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Recognize Speakers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 navyreb

navyreb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

I need help getting my computer to recognize speakers. My family got a new computer a little after christmas, and I decided to hook up the old one in my room a few days ago. The old speakers were crap, so we threw them out before I tried to hook it up. I have an emachines desktop using Windows XP. As far as I can tell, the sound card is integrated into the motherboard rather than separate. I have tried headphones, the dell speakers that came with our new computer, and the bose speakers we bought for the new computer, but it won't recognize that the speakers are there. I have tried both the front and rear audio jacks, but have not used speakers that get sound via USB (the Dell ones got power from usb and sound via jack.) The USB mouse and keyboard work fine. Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it???

Oh, and I'm not very tech savvy, so y'all might have to put things simply. Thanks a bunch!

Edited by navyreb, 31 March 2008 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Your system should not have to recognise speakers. Its like plugging headphones into a CD player... it doesnt have to know they're there, they just work.

Please go to Services by opening a run prompt and typing:
services.msc

When you have done that, scroll down to "Windows Audio Service." Make sure it is 1. Set to automatic and 2. Started.

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

Does the sound icon show on the taskbar
Try opening the Device Manger and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points and note where they are. More than likely by your sound device Also post back with the make and model of the computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

Have you tried all the audio plugs-in? Generally they are color coded, but I got a set of speakers once that didn't work in it's matching color. I can't remember which was which, but in the end I just tried all of them until I got the one that worked.

#5 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Your system should not have to recognise speakers. Its like plugging headphones into a CD player... it doesnt have to know they're there, they just work.

Please go to Services by opening a run prompt and typing:

services.msc

When you have done that, scroll down to "Windows Audio Service." Make sure it is 1. Set to automatic and 2. Started.

Billy3

The system volume is not on so long as it doesn't recognize an audio device.

Have you tried all the audio plugs-in? Generally they are color coded, but I got a set of speakers once that didn't work in it's matching color. I can't remember which was which, but in the end I just tried all of them until I got the one that worked.

Yeah, I've tried all the plugs.

Edited by navyreb, 01 April 2008 - 08:52 PM.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

<WinKey>+R
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#7 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

Does the sound icon show on the taskbar
Try opening the Device Manger and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points and note where they are. More than likely by your sound device Also post back with the make and model of the computer

It is an emachines T2260. I'll try the device manager and see if it works.

#8 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Garmanma, it has a yellow exclamation point next to multimedia audio controller.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

You can download the driver for it here
eMachines Support
Click on the + by downloads. It's the first one

Edited by garmanma, 01 April 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

You can download the driver for it here
eMachines Support
Click on the + by downloads. It's the first one

can I download it to a usb then take it to my old computer.....oh and yeah you are my hero!

Edited by navyreb, 01 April 2008 - 09:49 PM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

Download it however you want. It should be no problem
Mark
Posted Image

#12 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

I installed the driver and everything is working fine. Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity, what could have made the old driver go quit working/disappear all of the sudden?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

There are several reasons a driver can become corrupt. Deleting a program the wrong way, a corrupt download of an application, even spyware removal . The list goes on
Mark
Posted Image

#14 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

hey i have same prolem(but im on old dell) ive reinstalled windows xp after major virus from which i could not recover.....

i installed windows xp sp2...then went through the updates to sp3...then the speakers were working fine....then i pluged in a sound card i had lying around from an even older dell....pluged it in so i could use more speakers....then since i noticed a drop in system performance i just unpluged it(the computer was off) and went back to how it was before...now the speakers wont work...and when i restarted to day after a crash that darn beep thing was on and my speakers wont work(they wouldnt work before crash crash was caused by me trying to install drivers...)and they still wont work ive tryed every thing...please help!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users