Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod - Session_initialization_failed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crowdedisland

crowdedisland

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I have a win xp sp2 dell 8400 getting a BSOD sesion5_initialization_failed

Stop 0x000071 (0000000,00000000,00000000,0000000)

I have tried safe mode but cannot get it to boot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS- It looks like windows doesn't see the drive at all. I ran diags and spin rite and the drive comes up fine but when I try to boot the win xp sp 2 cd and run recovery console iut say there are no hard disks

The box is a Dell Dimension 8400 with 1 160GB sata 150 drive.

Edited by crowdedisland, 26 March 2008 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,892 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

You sure that error number is correct?

Google doesn't yield anything useful...and there is a ton of info available on STOP errors...but not that number.

Louis

#3 crowdedisland

crowdedisland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yes the STOP error code is 0x00000071 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I had google also and found almost nothing. It just weird that windows doesn't see the drive while diags says its fine.

It shoudln't need a special driver since it is just a sata drive

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,892 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

Well...from what I see re "session_initialization_failed, it's a situation that occurs only when someone is trying to install Windows Server.

Is that the case with you?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...amp;btnG=Search

If so, I would just blow it all away and start anew...something has gone wrong which does not seem to be well-documented on the Web.

As a routine procedure, I always check my hard drive connections when Windows complains of being unable to find the hard drive. Both IDE and SATA connections can come loose or have poor connectivity...which can certainly confound XP.

Per http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Dimension-Intel...r/dp/B00062FFHK , that system came with dual SATA hard drives. Is that true of yours?

Was the RAID configuration the default?

Louis

Edited to add "server" to line 1 :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#5 crowdedisland

crowdedisland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

It has a single drive not the dual drives (even though that would have been nice)

I was able to download a sata driver from dell and boot off the winxp cd hit f6 and get into recovery console.

My thinking is the driver got messed up and now it can't read it. I need to find a way to put this driver back in the correct place and maybe I can boot.

What do you think?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,892 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hmmm...it just may be easier to start a repair install of XP and then enter the SATA driver.

I am not one of those who tries to replace system files or drivers...without being in XP. I've read the techniques on how to do it, but I find it more comfortable to do a 35-minute repair install, even if it might be overkill.

One of the knowledgeable persons will probably tell you how to do it via another route, just hold on :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 crowdedisland

crowdedisland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

SO I tried to be smart and just copy over the iastor.sys but got the smae results. I then did a fixboot and fixmbr with again the same results.

I then tried to do a windows reepair and on the rbe reboot I get the smae error.

If no one has a good idea I may just buy a new drive and build it with windows and use the original drive to copy data off off and use as a spare.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795766.aspx

Bug Check 0x71: SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
The SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check has a value of 0x00000071. This bug check indicates that the initialization of the Microsoft Windows operating system failed.

From this I can assume that Windows was installed, but that there's something preventing it from starting (and can't figure out much else!).
The only recommendation I could locate on the Microsoft site was to reinstall Windows and try to start it again. If you get the same message, contact a trained technician (WTH?)

The most comprehensive of the descriptions that I've found is located here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...8.mspx?mfr=true

I'd suggest searching your hard drive for files that end in .dmp - and use the one with the most recent datestamp to perform an analysis according to this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 Copy and paste the results into your next post and we'll see what we can find.

Edited by usasma, 27 March 2008 - 10:23 AM.
The computer ate my post!

- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#9 crowdedisland

crowdedisland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the response.

I gave up and bought a new drive made it my boot drive and left the old one in the system.

I have been resinatlling widnows and everything else to the new drive while copying all my dta off the old drive. When I am all done I am goign to use the old drive as a backup drive.

Its amazing that their is so little info on this error.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users