Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are The Folders On The C Drive With Long Names Containing Random Letters And Numbers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nowthenbc

nowthenbc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

On my system drive I have a folder with a long name. The name contains apparently random letters and numbers. This folder contains some sort of log file. I have been looking on someone else's PC and they have about 20 of these sort of folders, some of which contain all kinds of files.
An example name might be:
3f8704I1d2943a84ef894ec6146346532

What are they there for?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hello nowthenbc,

There should be nothing to worry about here. Those folders probably contain log files and/or "remnants" from Microsoft updates. I have several such folders on my system. The following is a screen snapshot of 3 of those folders:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5238/wffn01bt4.png

You can probably safely delete those folders, but I just leave them where they are because they don't consume too much space.

#3 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Thank you.
I have tried deleting my folder and the earth did not stop turning, so that was a good sign. I would not mind leaving such folders either BUT when you have 20 or more of such folders (like my friend), it makes your C drive very untidy and difficult to look down your list of meaningful folders.
I wondered if they were to do with Microsoft updates because when I googled some of the executable file names I was finding references to Windows and Internet Explorer.
Do you understand the purpose of these folders or why they are left there? Do you think that the folder names are unique?

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

On my system, one of the folders contains the log of the installation of an MSXML update. The following Microsoft article describes the folder and log file. I recall when I first noticed this folder that I found a reference on a Microsoft site (TechNet/MSDN/? -- I can't find right now) that the log file was created for troubleshooting purposes, in case the update was not successful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

From the article above:

"Security update package 927978 may create a log file. The package names the log file KB927978.log. The package saves the log file inside a folder. The folder has a system generated name. The folder is in the root of a system drive. The path resembles the following:

C:\system generated name\KB927978.log.

Note In this example, C is system drive.

Although it is optional, you can remove the log file and the folder."

Since that happened, I have noticed several other of these randomly-named folders have been created. A few of these seem to have been for Windows Live OneCare (the Microsoft anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall program I use). These folders contain 2 small ".EXE" files. I do recall that, at one time, I had Microsoft Tech Support use a remote assistance tool to solve a problem I was having with OneCare. The contents of those folders may be from that support session.

Also see:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=626112

I think if you look at the contents of each folder and find that they do appear to be just installation log files, then there should be no harm in deleting them.

To be safe, you might might to create a new folder (at a location of your choice) and then move those 20 or so folders, along with their contents, into that new folder. Run the system for a week or two (or whatever) and if no problems appear, it should be safe to delete them. At least moving all those folders into a single folder will eliminate the clutter and you can then move one or more of them back to their original location if a problem develops.

Edited by M..., 18 March 2008 - 08:11 AM.

#5 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

M...
I read those links with interest. I am surprised that Microsoft don't put these folders into somewhere more out of the way.
Thank you very much for your help. I have done as you suggest and put them all into one folder. To be honest, I don't really mind if they stay there forever, just so long as things are a bit tidier. He can just keep putting future ones into that folder.
Thanks once again.
nowthenbc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users