Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Install Operating System On Brand New Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D_Vincent

D_Vincent

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

How to install operating system on brand new computer?

Just wondering exactly how its done so i dont mess it up because its the first time Ive ever done it...Im not to worried about installing XP home however the new computer came with 2 other disks which im not sure what they are for.

One disk is for the optical drive I think...it says LG DVD writer Solution...written on CD says

Power DVD
power Producer
Nero express
In CD
Acrobat Reader
Drive Manual

I assume I need to install some type of driver for it however should I do this before installing windows?

I also have another CD that came with new computer which says.

P5VD2-VMSE
Graphics Integrated motherboard
VIA P4M900 Series Support CD Rev.292.02
M2023
ASUS
Vista Drivers Inside

I see thats this is for the motherboard however not sure what its for exactly and since Im installing XP and not vista I wasnt sure what to do...perhaps the CD is saying it also supports vista as well?...this computer allows you to install windows 2000,XP or Vista.

If i have to insert this CD for motherboard I was wondering when it should be done...before operating system or after...thanks for any help.

Edited by D_Vincent, 14 March 2008 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Make sure the computer is set to boot to the cd drive in bios, load the xp cd(w/sp2 of course)

the cd will load and look for your hard drive, test this!

then you have it prepare the drive(create a partition and format) choose slow format

it will install the OS

after that's done go into device manager and note which hardware devices did not get detected and drivers loaded

those are the ones you will need from the cd

check dates on ones from the web vs dates from the cd

be careful and don't load an old driver that was written for an earlier version of xp

this is really something you should watch a more experienced person first

there's a real art to getting a good load of windows and drivers, I might have to do it 2 or 3 times myself on especially difficult new boards before I am satisfied with the results

And I have done it countless times over many years

And I haven't even mentioned the worst part, setting bios up to get a good load and running machine
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 byteguy

byteguy

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

The CD is no doubt telling you that the Vista drivers are included in case you need them.
As DaChew told you, first complete the XP install. Once you have that on the system, install the motherboard drivers so that you have all the functionality of the motherboard, including sound, LAN, and chipset.

Once that is working, install your DVD software. Also (IMHO) go to www.mozilla.com and load Firefox.

Install your printer drivers and any other software next.
I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Power DVD
power Producer
Nero express
In CD
Acrobat Reader
Drive Manual

In general, don't install any of the programs listed above until you have done some homework on what they do and understand why you will either install or not install each.

My biases :thumbsup: are:

Power DVD...have never used it, find it isn't required for what I do. Many users use it for viewing video files, but I find that WMP and other video programs I have installed...work fine for me.

Power Producer...never heard of it, sounds like a more grandiose version of Power DVD.

Nero Express...CD/DVD burn software. Should be installed, easier to use than XP burn or any others I have tried.

Nero In CD...packet-writing software for burning CDs. Kind of belongs to a bygone era (since media are so cheap now), I do not recommend installing it (many users have reported problems as the result of having this installed).

Acrobat Reader...the Adobe site installs not only the programs users expect...but a bunch of junk the users do not need on their systems. Although it provides capability for reading .pdf files, it's not the only program that provides that capability. Among others, Foxit Reader is available for this.

Drive Manual....not sure what that is, but it won't hurt to print it out and save it.

Louis

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

Power DVD

has the plugin/codec/decss for playing commercial dvd's
Chewy

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, Chewy :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

One of them said something about Vista download vista instead. Wow your computer came with good programs on DISK! Install the operating system first if you want to do anything then try the motherboard. First try the motherboard... if that doesn't work do the OS. Did you get a barebone system or something?? :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

One of them said something about Vista download vista instead. Wow your computer came with good programs on DISK! Install the operating system first if you want to do anything then try the motherboard. First try the motherboard... if that doesn't work do the OS. Did you get a barebone system or something?? :thumbsup:

you have never built a system and loaded it have you?
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users