Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats The Difference Between Windows Xp Home And Profession Edition?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 D_Vincent

D_Vincent

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Whats the difference between windows XP home and profession edition?

Just wondering what the difference is between these 2 operating systems...I need to get windows XP CD however XP home is about $100 cheaper than the pro version.

Im going to get windows Home edition however im not sure what to get...should I get the one with service pack 2 update?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...amp;catid=10657

Also I heard certain programs wont work on home edition however I was just wondering if its true or not.

Thanks for your help

Edited by D_Vincent, 14 March 2008 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

The main difference is that XP Pro is designed for use in a corporate environment. Among the differences is the ability to use Access Control and Group Policies to keep data secure and separate from users, some Remote Access capabilities, disk encryption, etc.

Also I heard certain programs wont work on home edition however

The underlying operating system is identical, so unless the program is designed to help manage security features not found on XP Home, there should be no problems. I have never had a problem running applications on XP Home.

If you just need it for a standalone system that is not in a corporate environment, then XP Home is fine.

#3 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Ok thanks for the quick reply...info was helpfull.

:thumbsup:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 26,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

however im not sure what to get...should I get the one with service pack 2 update?

In a word. Yes.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

I dont have windows XP yet however I just went to future shop in hopes of getting XP home edition however the guy working there pretty much confused me...I wanted to buy The Windows XP Home Edition, complete with Service Pack 2 which costs $129.99 however he kept saying it wasnt the full version and it was only the update so I didnt buy it just in case he was right however Im thinking the guy was wrong...also the whole time he kept pushing vista on me and I kept saying I wanted XP.

How much does Windows XP Home Edition, complete with Service Pack 2 go for right now...is it around $130 or is it more likely to be over $200.

Here is what I wanted which I didnt get yet.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...amp;catid=10657

Edited by D_Vincent, 14 March 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

give us some more details about how you need to use it, that's the version that you would load to upgrade a windows 98 computer

if it's a new computer that's just been built or in the process of being built then oem home is fine and it's even cheaper 90-100$
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Here is the computer we have...its brand new.

http://www.lucomputers.com/Product_detail....952&class=1

I might get XP off of ebay however Im still not sure which version to get...how does one know which one to buy for a newer computer?

Here is the one im looking at...it says its an OEM version of Windows xp...not sure what that means.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...A:IT&ih=013

This one has lower shipping so i may get this one.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Windows-XP-Home-Full-SP...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by D_Vincent, 14 March 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

yes that's what you need and qualitfy for, the cheaper full version to be sold and installed on a new computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116056

why such high shipping off fleabay?
Chewy

#9 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Some of those sellers really overcharge on shipping...they are trying to save money on listing fees and end of auction fees and try and make money off the shipping...its kind of ebays fault really for increasing fee %.

So regardless of where I buy windows XP home i guess i am looking for the OEM version with service pack 2.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

I noticed it was 123$ on that computer you are ordering, might be a better deal if they load it for that price?
Chewy

#11 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

I was going to buy the parts to build this computer form LU Computer however it ended up being cheaper to buy it assembled...I already have the computer in hand...it was delivered today however in retrospect i should of paid the $123 to get XP installed and they would of sent the CD to me...Kind of a blunder on my part...oh well I know for next time to get them to install it If i end up buying another computer from them in the future.

Thanks for your help.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,360 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

The guy at Future Shop needs a slap upside the head for trying to push Vista.

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

The guy at Future Shop needs a slap upside the head for trying to push Vista.

Why? I have no problems with Vista at all. Are you having a particular problem with Vista, or is bashing Vista something that the wannabees are still doing? :thumbsup:

#14 D_Vincent

D_Vincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

I told the guy I didnt want vista...I see a lot of people on forums saying this or that wont work in vista so I thought that I shouldnt get it.

I feel kind of stupid now asking which version of windows I needed when it was right in my face at LU computer...just had to click on customize and see which one i needed...doh!

Just wondering how much space windows vista takes up...I hear its a lot.

Is it a mistake to just give in and get vista...Is the computer I bought powerfull enough to run it smoothly or would it be a mistake to do it.

here is the computer again...click on customize it and select operating system...windows vista is only $84 plus a couple bucks to ship.
Are there service packs for vista or is the basic windows vista all one needs...not saying im buying it however its an option...I may also grab another 1 GB of ram as well.
http://www.lucomputers.com/Product_detail....952&class=1

Question about ram...do you have to have same size ram for both slots in computer...can one have 1 GB and the other have 2 GB.

Does it matter how much ram I have when operating vista or is that more about disk capacity and has nothing to do with memory.

Thanks for the help and replies.

Edited by D_Vincent, 14 March 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#15 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Is he going to make more money by selling Vista?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users