Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"shut Down Due To Thermal Event."

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iSayChris

iSayChris

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

ello, 2 days ago i was on and then suddenly my computer shutdown on its own. when i tried to boot it back up it said "shut down due to thermal event." i tried waiting for a couple of hours to see if it would work. but it keeps shutting down in a couple of minutes. my computer is about 3.5 years old running on a Dell using windows xp home edition. Does anyone know whats happening? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Well..."thermal" implies overheating, I believe.

First thing I would do...check the temperature in the BIOS after one of these shutdowns.

Second thing...open the case, clean away all dust/debris...ensure that all fans are turning properly when the system is on.

If it still overheats, I would consider replacing fans/heatsink on the CPU and adding fans for additional ventilation.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/heatprotect.html

Louis

#3 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Sounds like your CPU is overheating very quickly. This could be caused by dirt/dust buildup inside the case that is blocking the airflow. Clean it and retest. If you have already done that recently, check to make sure your heatsink is properly attached to your cpu but I'm betting on the dust problem.

#4 iSayChris

iSayChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

yeah, i think it is the dust inside. havent cleaned it once the past 3.5 years

#5 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

Just a note to hamluis...

Hello Louis,

In looking back, my post is almost a carbon copy of your post; however, I must have been writing my post "just slightly behind" yours and never realized they were duplicate recommendations. Now, with that said, I will surrender any rewards directly to you... with the exception of any S & H Green Stamps that might offered (are you mature enough to remember them?).

Thanks,

ucanfixit

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:40 AM

ucanfixit, that is common on forums and sometimes makes you look like your just copying other users to get the post count up even when you are not :thumbsup: ! A simple way to solve this is to check if another member is posting by looking at the bottom of the topic and if a member name is in italics, it means they are posting. If they are posting, wait until they have posted and see what they posted. If it was the same thing, either leave it or back up and support what they have to say. Sorry to get off-topic!

iSayChris
, I would say that the most likely problem is dust build-up. You should clean out your computer every 3 months or so, to make sure that it is free from dust. Also, make sure that areas surrounding your PC are cleaned from dust aswell. This will stop the amount dust from going into your PC via the intake fans. Another thing that you can do is the put a thin cloth that isn't thick, over the intake hole of your PC as this can help prevent dust from getting into your PC by filtering it. If your PC has lots of dust build-up, especially over the CPU and the heatsink, this can trap heat over the CPU and cause it to heat up quicker and overheat it aswell. If your CPU is constantly being overheated, it can cause your PC to turn off randomly, shorten the life of your CPU, cause performance problems and also damage your motherboard aswell as the chance of burning components in your PC.

Also, just for reference, this is a tutorial we have on BC about cleaning your computer from dust, found here.

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 02:47 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

This is a common symptom on Dells if there are bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Some illustrations of what to look for on the board:

http://www.badcaps.net/

Edited by Platypus, 12 March 2008 - 07:00 AM.

Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

No problem :thumbsup:.

I sometime think that 2 opinions stating the same basics or suggestions...are better than one.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users