Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please...my home page has been hijacked.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jrmax

jrmax

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

Hello,

Can someone help me please. I recently turned on my computer, only to find a message on my main screen. It's an ad that reads something to the effect...

SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!

REMOVE ALL SPYWARE FROM YOUR PC.

Then it requests you to click on a bar that reads "REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS"

...That's not the only problem. The other one is when I click on Internet Explorer, my regular home page has been redirected to some other advertising page. When I go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, my home page just soon gets re-directed to the advertising page. Also now and then, I get pop-up messages for advertising offers for various merchandise, and including spyware removal products.

I've run AD-AWARE, SPYBOT, SPY SUBTRACT and NOADWARE programs to detect and remove spyware and trojans etc. A lot of these spyware detection and removal programs find these intruders, and allegedly remove them, but the three above problems still persist. Anyone got any solutions?

Perhaps there is some spyware in my startup registry, but I don't want to tinker around with that section because I'm not a computer expert.

Another note...I noticed one entry in the start up registry that I didn't recognize, that tried to gain access to the internet (ZONE ALARM alerted me to it). I didn't allow permission. Perhaps that is one clue.

Thanks, for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:54 AM

Run HijackThis and post the saved log file in this section of the forum.

Download HijackThis

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:27 AM

Before posting a log, read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users