Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Esellerate?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richard S.

Richard S.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

While doing a general inspection of files on my C-drive, I came across C:\program files\common files\eSellerate\WebControl365.dll. I do frequent scans and this was the first time I had seen this file. There was nothing I could find that tied it to and application or process. I tried to rename it, but permission was denied. Can anyone tell me what it is and where it came from?

I booted in safe mode and deleted the folder. When I boot in normal mode, nothing seems to have broken. However, a scan of the registry revealed over a dozen occurrences of "eSellerate" and "WebControl365.dl". Before dealing with them, I would like to know what it is that I am dealing with. If necessary or desirable, I can restore the folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

eSellerate is an e-commerce provider that processes orders for various companies and used to make purchases online. It also appears to be related to a product to help sell software and a download service.
eSellerate
What is eSellerate
eSellerate Download Service
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Richard S.

Richard S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

So some site that I visited that had a statement, "add to cart to see discounted price" blazoned on their web site must have been an affiliate of eSellerate. At least that would explain the origin. It does not, however, give eSellerate permission to install a file on my computer, especially one that I do not have sufficient authority as an administrator, to access.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will not restore the file and will run a registry cleaner to hopefully eliminate the many entries containing the offending names. It is comforting to know that I had not been maliciously invaded; invaded to be sure, but not with hurtful intent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users