Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes - Weird Lines On The Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pareeeee

Pareeeee

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hello,
I've been having a problem lately. My computer has been freezing/crashing at random times. The screen suddenly freezes up and I get weird lines across the screen (look at photo)

I end up having to turn the computer off by pushing the off button.

>I'm trying to remember what I've been doing when it happens, it's happened a few times while playing Halo, once while using Google Earth, I think it happened another time when I wasn't using either program.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks
Pareeeee

Attached Files

Pareeeee ><(((((>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pareeeee

Pareeeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

ANYONE???
Pareeeee ><(((((>

#3 Catman77

Catman77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

It looks like a graphic card problem. Turn off computer, remove monitor cord from computer and reattach firmly. If you can remove from monitor end do it also, and reattach firmly.

If this does not end problem, the video card is not making firm connection into motherboard. Turn off computer, remove case cover, and locate video graphics card. It is the one that cord from monitor goes into. Remove monitor card from video card. Remove screw (on inside back of computer) that hold video card in. Remove video card and reinsert firmly. Screw retaining screw in firmly and reattach monitor cord. Replace case cover and you should be back in business.

Catman77

PS It can also be caused by a VGA cord out of tolerance with either the monitor or the video card. Try another VGA card if it can detach from monitor.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:32 AM

Those are all great steps as listed above, but the first thing I would do is make sure you have fully updated the drivers to your graphics card.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:30 AM

In addition to all of this, try another monitor (it should also have a cable attached) that you know to be good. That will let you know if the problem is with the monitor/cable - or with the computer.

The fix for the monitor/cable is to replace/repair the defective parts (usually means a new monitor)

The fix for the computer itself will take some more troubleshooting to see if it's your hardware, drivers, or Windows that's at fault.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

same thing kinda happened to me! but it was ALL OVER my screen! and different colors cant really explaine it but there was ALOT of lines but mine were THINNER! and they were colorful lol and the went accross my monitor and it was flickering also! often, my computer will freeze and my monitor will go black like 3 times a day and the light on the monitor wil go from green to orange. and i never tryd to turn off my monitor and than turn it back on so i cna try that next but! anyways it stays black and i have to actually turn off my computer and turn it back on... its really annoying and i dont want my 5k++ comp to fail on me already.

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 29 April 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#7 funkapunkafide

funkapunkafide

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

i dont think its graphics card prob,
im now using ubuntu with the same zig zag line problem, but it only occurs on windows, and never on ubuntu, so i dont think its a graphics problem

#8 chewmanshoe

chewmanshoe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Curious if you found source of problem. I have the same issue and my video card is on board. There is no rhyme or reason to failure, one second all's good, nanosecond later it's a patchwork of colored lines across monitor slanted about 35 degrees, only fix is reset button. I just built system 1/09. Is it possible for RAM, CPU or motherboard to cause a failure like this? I don't have resources to change out each item to troubleshoot and would greatly appreciate help.

#9 chewmanshoe

chewmanshoe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Curious if you found source of problem. I have the same issue and my video card is on board. There is no rhyme or reason to failure, one second all's good, nanosecond later it's a patchwork of colored lines across monitor slanted about 35 degrees, only fix is reset button. I just built system 1/09. Is it possible for RAM, CPU or motherboard to cause a failure like this? I don't have resources to change out each item to troubleshoot and would greatly appreciate help.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

I'm going to toss out here that the image is a BSOD.

A BSOD is a bunch of white lines of text on a blue screen. I can't see the lines, but that color sure is familiar, eh?

A BSOD is a Windows trademark which is why you might not ever see it in Ubuntu. There may not be an equivalent.

While the computer is crashing for a yet to be determined reason, it is also whacking the display so badly the information on the BSOD (or anything) will not be readable. The system locking up is also a symptom of a BSOD - no mouse, no keyboard, nothing but a reset button. It happens at seemingly random times (lately).

I often suspect hardware when I see a BSOD if no software type changes are admitted. While you have your video card in hand, try anothor slot if you can, and also clean it out from debris, check cooling fans (power supply video card, CPU). Use common sense and there is a tutorial in the tutorial section.

Any software/hardware changes lately?

While you your screwdriver, methodically reseast all the cables, connections, RAM, etc. for all devices in a manner where it is impossible to get confused and make a misconnection (one at a time).

To help isolate heat problems, if you leave your system off for a while and it cools down does it last longer but the problem always comes back when it warms up? If you restart it right after a crash does it only last a short while? Is that a reproduceable pattern? Cool = works. Hot = fails.

I am a BSOD novice (and happy to say so), so maybe the the BSOD experts can recommend the best method to capture the info in a dump file to help see what cannot be seen at the moment of failure if there is agreement and usefulness to catch the possible software issue.

Edited by joseibarra, 23 July 2009 - 06:00 AM.

Jose

#11 romar

romar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

we have same problem man... hmmm and we i use the same monitor as yours i have acer AL1716

#12 gruen33

gruen33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

I think it might be bad RAM or Memory Timing. See this article for more information.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/random-freezes-with-windows-7-64-bit/85cad5d1-dace-415d-9b06-5c609209e232

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users